This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

[solved] lxpanel sementation fault when booting laptop without a battery
  • monzmonz February 2010
    I have slitaz installed on several laptops, and lxpanel works fine on all of them when the battery is installed at bootup. If i boot up with the battery and power-cord both installed, and then remove the battery and leave the power-cord plugged in, lxpanel also runs fine. But when booting with the battery missing, lxpanel tries to start but then disappears, and the error logs show that it is caused by a segmentation fault.

I read on an Ubuntu forum that this was a bug in lxpanel 0.5.3, which is the one currently used in slitaz, and that it was fixed in lxpanel 0.5.4. Can we upgrade the lxpanel tazpkg to 0.5.4?
  • LuXLuX February 2010
    Oh, I understand now why I have the same problem on my laptop... thank you, monz.
  • monzmonz February 2010
    OK, this is really weird ... on the Toshiba Satellite Pro A215-s5850, which i just mentioned in another discussion concering screen brightness, i just did a complete system upgrade, and i did it the proper way, in this order (finally having discovered it today on the forum!):

# tazpkg recharge
    # tazpkg get-install tazpkg --forced
    # tazpkg recharge
    # tazpkg upgrade

And normally when i do a big upgrade, i edit my /etc/slim.conf file before rebooting, because i have a user account on all of my machines with a name and password of my choosing, in addition to the default "tux" account with no password, and i know from past experience that upgrading one of the system packages always rewrites the default user in /etc/slim.conf to be "tux" again, when i want it to be me instead.

Anyway, i forgot to change the file this time, and upon rebooting after the upgrade, WITH NO BATTERY INSTALLED, i accidentally booted into the tux account, and guess what? -- the lxpanel appeared at the bottom of the screen and worked fine. But when i exited out of openbox and logged back in as myself, again i got the disappearing lxpanel and the segmentation fault.

Any ideas on how this can be mended? I'm sure it's a simple matter of changing a boot-script somewhere.
  • xorxxorx February 2010
    Hello,

I have the same issue with my ACER laptop (slitaz installed on /dev/hda8) and the tux user (I only have this user for the moment).

I did an upgrade yesterday and everything worked fine.

This is the output of dmesg concerning lxpanel:
    lxpanel[1454]: segfault at 616c632f ip b7711ffc sp bfffaa60 error 4 in libc-2.10.1.so[b76d0000+15f000]

Thank you.
  • monzmonz February 2010
    Can any of the SliTaz developers please help with this? I think that if SliTaz uses lxpanel 0.5.4 instead of 0.5.3 the problem will go away.

But anyway, i would like to know why the problem does not occur when i login as user "tux" but always does occur when i login as my regular username.
  • monzmonz February 2010
    hi jozee .... thanks for fixing it ... but ...

can you please explain how to do it? thanks.
  • monzmonz February 2010
    hi jozee ... ok, i get it ... that's just the tazpkg update info ... thanks! ... it's nice to have my lxpanel back again.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social