This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Slitaz on Flash : Ext2/Ext3
  • DESHARNAISDESHARNAIS February 2010
    Hello,

I'm currently working on a small PC104 computer.
    I use SLITAZ as its operating system. It is installed either on a USB Pen drive or on a DOM (disk on module : flash memory accessible via IDE), the file system I chose was ext3. I know that ext3 is not a very good idea for Flash memory but the system is supposed to endure hard electrical reboot and uncareful treatment and the journalisation seemed a good solution even though it would lead to Flash's memory death.

I'm faced with a problem that has proved unsolvable for a year. At one of our clients, the filesystem slowly but irremediably goes bad. At first, a few files are unreadable, then the filesystem will only be mounted readonly and finally it refuses to be mounted and the system can not boot at all.

I tried ext2 but thing are worse than ever, each reboot (even when it is cleanly rebooted), the e2fsck command has something to correct and mainly erases the files contained in my .e directory that contain the configuration of e17.

I'm now out of solution so if anybody has an idea or an hint, I would be glad.

Thanks lot.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 February 2010
    Hello !
    You can try to manually format your drive with another filesystem, then you must choose the good partition in slitaz-installer.

You can try jfs, xfs or others... good luck :-)
  • DESHARNAISDESHARNAIS February 2010
    Thanks for the answer and the good luck, I might need a lot.
  • ToffToff February 2010
    Some other ideas:
    Use a read only partition for a maximum of static data.
    Use laptop mode to limit write frequency : http://samwel.tk/laptop_mode/faq
    also see http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/linux-on-flash.html

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social