This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Can SliTaz play youtube videos on a 700 MHz desktop?
  • navigernaviger December 2009
    I have a 700 MHz desktop computer, 512 MB RAM, 20 GB hard disk. When using SliTaz, is 700 MHz fast enough to play youtube videos smoothly? If so, which SliTaz ISO file should I get?

At the present time I have Mandriva 2010.0 installed. It works for some things but playing youtube (with Firefox + flash plugin) is problematic. Sound is OK but many video frames are dropped and the videos appear as a series of still images.
  • osjensenosjensen December 2009
    Yes - install flash-plugin, and restart firefox.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 January 2010
    Maybe you could first download the video (firefox plug-in) then play it ?
  • slicelslicel January 2010
    You have a nice machine for slitaz and it ought to be enough for video but flash (edit- the adobe site) lists ridiculous system requirements so you might have to download and play locally as hal wrote.
  • jf_jf_ February 2010
    flash (or rather, the BINARY program provided by adobe) on linux is problematic. I've always ran into problems with it. If it doesnt cause firefox to eat up so much memory it has to be killed, it'll cause firefox to drag the whole machine down to a crawl. I know this isnt something u are wanting to hear, but... that appears to be the reality of it. Personally, i would recommend u go try out the opensource flash projects. Like swfdec, for example.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social