This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

[SOLVED] 1024x768 resolution using Silicon Motion Lynx3DM video card (and vesa driver)
  • paulo_oliveirapaulo_oliveira January 2011
    Hello, all.

First of all, let me just tell you I discovered slitaz GNU/Linux three days ago, have been playing with it ever since and am quite impressed (my basic needs for text editing, internet access, photo, video and sound have all been successfully fulfilled). It is among one of the few distros that got working correctly with my old Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M6100 laptop and runs very very smoothly.

I don't actually know if this is the correct place to set this information up (regarding the actual topic subject), but it may help others (it was intuitive for me to come to this forum, so it may be for others too), so here goes.

I've seen some discussion about 1024x768 (and other) resolutions in the slitaz GNU/Linux 3.0 distro and I've been tampering with my xorg.conf file quite a bit these last few days (basically ever since I installed the distro - because this was one of my initial "major" problems - I had only a 800x600 resolution, that left a border of about 2 inches on each corner of the screen, and could use the distro, but still something was missing :-)). I've read mostly all the posts obtained by searching the keywords xorg, siliconmotion, screen, resolution, fujitsu, siemens and m6100 on this forum and none of them correctly satisfied me, but they gave me good ideas on where to look for things (there's a link to a vesa/xorg document in the site that was also helpful and also some sites that I reference below in the xorg.conf file example). One tool that always restored my initial configuration to 800x600 (and thus allowed me to play around with xorg.conf) was tazx. In other linux distros I'd usually be forced to keep an xorg.conf.bak or something file in my home dir to prevent unwanted mistakes :-)

The xorg.conf file is attached to this message (I know, it's nothing fancy!, but it works for me!). And if I understood the ABI error for the siliconmotion driver better (that I "ported" from Debian GNU/Linux with tazpkg convert) I'd even substitute vesa with siliconmotion (don't know if that makes for a big difference though).

Will eagerly wait for slitaz GNU/Linux 4.0 now :-)

Thanks.
  • paulo_oliveirapaulo_oliveira January 2011
    It seems I can't upload a file... I've tried with Firefox, Safari and Midori... :-(

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social