This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Installation loses root password
  • philstixphilstix December 2010
    I've been trying to install slitaz 3.0 onto an internal hard drive. Everything seems to go ok but after I boot into the new system and try to open a folder as root slitaz doesn't accept the root password I entered during installation - no error message, just ignoring my attempt to log in as root. I've done this twice now just to make sure I didn't enter the password incorrectly, and I know exactly what root password I specified, and I know I entered it correctly.

Is there some limitation on the passwords that can be used? I'm using the same one I've used previously on Ubuntu - it's a phrase about 25 characters long, with lower-case letters, spaces and punctuation characters. Can slitaz handle that, or does it only work with simple passwords?
  • erniaernia December 2010
    when it happens to me usually i'm having some keyboard issue (e.g. writing password with it kbd and having us kbd in final system).
    you could try lefting the standard root password during install and changing the password only in the final system
  • philstixphilstix December 2010
    I ended up having to reinstall Slitaz. This time I used a shorter password - but still containing upper and lower case letters, numbers and punctuation - and it worked ok, so it seems there's a character limit for passwords in Slitaz. Unfortunately the system doesn't warn about this during setup, and allows me to specify a password that it will not accept for login - clearly a bug.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social