This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Xorg installing Video Driver
  • honmokhonmok August 2010
    I have a Sony Vaio PCG-9401( also known as PCG-630). It has a AMD K6-2+ processor. VGA is a trident Corei7. This time my problem is that i can't get the driver to work. I follow the installation from top to bottom. Install linux-agp, install Xorg with trident driver then install linux-drm. Lastly i installed mesa-dri-trident. The order is correct right? well, when i restart for the driver to take in effect, the lcd screen stays black (driver problem). Thank you, I'm sorry but I'm a noob in Linux.
  • molmol August 2010

I'm not a Slitaz master , but as far I remember, I faced that sort of problem
    by booting with the slitaz 3 Xvesa version . Before login, the installation of Xorg and drivers are proposed. Say yes and then everything was ok.
    After, make an iso of your new configuration. Same method for getting wireless

++
    How do i make an ISO CD for my configurations?
    I couldn't even log-in. It loaded up all the modules when it was booting up. It didn't ask me anything. When it was done it just turned black (the lcd screen was off).
  • molmol August 2010
    1° Menu -> System Tools -> Live CD -> Write Iso (I prefer with none compression)
    2° You are using the default slitaz version which works with Xorg, try this one
    http://mirror.slitaz.org/iso/3.0/flavors/slitaz-3.0-xvesa.iso

And do what I've suggest, and please give a feed-back for other users ;)
    I can't do that because after i have install all the drivers, the lcd screen turns black. I can't do anything. Sure it boots-up loading the modules but, it seems like it has a video graphics driver problem. I'm not trying ignore your solution, but it's not working in my case. I'm trying to follow the instruction on thishttp://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/1631/xorg-installing-video-driver/#Item_5.
  • molmol August 2010
    did you try the xvesa version ? yes or not ?
    Xvesa works fine for me. My problem is installing the Xorg driver Trident. I don't want to use Xvesa because it has a slow refresh rate.
  • molmol August 2010
    ah la la ... cultural gap

I said : Did you tried to use Xvesa version to try to install Xorg at boot time ?
  • mojomojo August 2010
    It wouldn't make any difference unless honmok installed the trident drivers before installing xorg.Maybe X would autoconfigure correctly and you would avoid the dreaded command line.The reality of slitaz is the command line is not an option, the sooner you start the better.

xorg setup from blackscreen:
    ctrl+alt+bkspc kill the xserver to drop to command line
    If you can't kill xserver you boot with screen=text login as root pw:root
    lspci to get your video adapter information,tazpkg search/install the video drivers,run X -configure,
    cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    type slim,cross your fingers you see your desktop
    If you don't: nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf try modes first then horiz/vert/frequency ranges

honmonk trident driver search returns:
    mesa-dri-trident.tazpkg
    xorg-xf86-video-trident.tazpkg
    @Mojo I'm just gonna reinstall slitaz and see how it works, 'cause i feel like i screwed up somewhere.

This is my plan of attack:
    Install linux-agp
    Install linux-drm ( the mesa-dri forces the computer to install the package, but the Ispci auto-detects the graphics chip)
    Then run tazhw pci-detect to load the agp module.
    Then install xorg-xf86-video-trident
    lastly, I'm gonna install mesa-dri-trident
    Then reboot to see if it works.

What does the Mesa driver do?

@Mojo I'm just gonna reinstall slitaz and see how it works, 'cause i feel like i screwed up somewhere.

This is my plan of attack:
    Install linux-agp
    Install linux-drm ( the mesa-dri forces the computer to install the package, but the Ispci auto-detects the graphics chip)
    Then run tazhw pci-detect to load the agp module.
    Then install xorg-xf86-video-trident
    lastly, I'm gonna install mesa-dri-trident
    Then reboot to see if it works.

What does the Mesa driver do?

Sorry for the double-post. I thought there was an error
  • mojomojo August 2010
    Sounds like a good plan.Post comment once,verify your post by refreshing your browser,the errors are common.I think the dri module has to do with 3D direct rendering.If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me ;)
    It didn't work. I am looking the xorg.conf file (i'm looking at it by using that screen=text method you taught me) and Xorg couldn't detect the graphics card it says:
    Identifier "card0"
    Driver "trident"
    VendorName "unknown Vendor"
    Boardname "unknown Board"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"

this tell me that the driver is not installed correctly. I based most of my installation for the guide i found here: http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:xorg-xvesa

please if you got any suggestions tell me.

The card should be detected as a Trident Cyberblade i7.
    For installing linux-drm is this instruction necessary:
    # tazpkg get-install linux-drm
    # tazpkg get-install mesa-demos (for glxinfo and glxgears)
    # rm /dev/dri
    # mkdir /dev/dri/
    # addgroup tux video

the part after tazpkg get-install mesa-demos.
  • mojomojo August 2010
    Have you:
    root@slitaz: X   -configure

Followed by:
    root@slitaz: cp xorg.conf.new    /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Then:
    root@slitaz: slim

If X fails to start after you follow the directions above:
    nano -B /etc/X11/xorg.conf

See:http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:xorg-xvesa/Configuring X/Adding Resolutions/1 and 3
    Start with 3. Add extra modes to display subsection
    Try to start X again,if it fails,edit again.
    This time:1. Include HorizSync and VertRefresh (refresh timings) in the Monitor section

If X still fails to start we'll need to look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see whats failing.
    Don't post it in a reply,it's too big of a file.
    Upload /var/log/Xorg.0.log to http://www.mediafire.com
    No requirement to register.
    Click the Share button to the right of the uploaded file.
    URL with filename,click copy link button,paste here

linux-drm install may come after you setup xorg.
    we have to look at log once xorg will run to see if it's requested.
    think of it as icing on the cake
    After I added the extra display mode (I tried the first technique, it failed), the computer always boot into control box-mode with no graphics. I tried the boot editing in Grub, I erased the Screen=text part. It still boot into control box-mode.
  • mojomojo August 2010
    Run this command,post the output:
    tux@slitaz:cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE && cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep WW

I'm tired of fixing up Xorg. I'm just gonna go with Xvesa until I have time to do this again. Thanks a lot though, Mojo. You taught me a lot and have been a great help.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social