This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Netbook resolution 800 x 480 possible?
  • JojoJojo April 2010
    Dear all!
    My Laptop (Hercules eCAFE 800) has a physikal resolution of 800x480 pixels (1024 x 600 interpolated).
    I would like to use "Slitaz" on this netbook. Is it possible to set those resolutions? These settings can be changed in xorg.conf?
    I only tried via USB-stick yet, but i can't see the hole desktop :-(
    It would be very nice, if you give some hints, to solv this problem.
    Thank you very much,

jo
  • JojoJojo April 2010
    OK, thank you very much for this helpfull link! I made some changes for my requested resolution on this namend xorg.conf, but there was the next problem. How to change this xorg.conf on my USB-stick?
    First I tried to copy it via the filemanager. But I wasn't allowed to rename/copy any files.
    OK, so i tried via terminal (sudo, rename and so on). But it seemed slitaz does not know "sudo", "rename"....
    Is there a trick, how to exchange an existing file on an USB-live-version? Don't forget: I cannot see the hole screen (especially the bottom-bar).
    Thamk you very much,

jo
  • seawolfseawolf April 2010
    You can install sudo from the repositories:

su to switch to the root account. The default password is root

tazpkg get-install sudo to install it

visudo to add your user account to the sudo-enabled accts; tutorials are all over the web and even a post on here

mv <origname.file> <newname.file> to move the file

cp </path/source.file> </path/destination.file> to copy a file

HIH :)
  • JojoJojo April 2010
    Hej Seawolf,
    thank you very much! Now I'm able to exchange the xorg.conf.
    But how can I save this changed file for the next start of my USB-Live-Version?
    Where can I find the settings (or set it via terminal). Don't forget: I cannot see the hole screen (especially the bottom-bar).
    Or another question: After I've changed the xorg.conf, how can I check, if this new xorg.conf is really working?
    Please excuse my question... I'm not the best linux-user ;-)
    TIA,
    Jo
    Hmmm, I haven't used the live USB so I cannot be sure. Perhaps the handbook will tell you... http://www.slitaz.org/en/doc/handbook/liveusb.html :-)

You can even save the config file to a different place -- say, your home directory -- and specify to use it:

Xorg -config /home/tux/my-new-xorg.conf or
    X -config /home/tux/my-new-xorg.conf

If you specify a different resolution or montior refresh mode, is it become proper full-screen and not sliced?
  • sanekssaneks April 2010
    you can move windows around and out of the screen when you press alt and hold the left mouse button. alt+right button is for resizing a window.

I made a persistent usb install on my usb to keep settings. see here:
    http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/885/how-to-keep-installed-software/#Item_7

I have slitaz3+vlc+flash as livesystem now. home folder is seperate, so I can read it from other linux distributions, too.

@seawolf: why would I want to install sudo? if I need superuser, I type "su" or "gksu" and it is the same, isn't it?
    Yes. I use sudo out of habit. Also, saves some commands from executing that may need explicit root permissions, as you're running as mostly-root under sudo.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social