This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Openbox manipulation
  • vinylvinyl December 2009
    This isn't a question so much as a comment, but some insight might be appreciated.

I'm not quite sure what "composite" does, under the right-click "Desktop Effects" Openbox menu, but I figured that and "shadow" had something to do with making things "prettier" - which would be nice, being as prettiness is why I was initially looking at "bigger" distroes. However, anytime I pick either "Activate composite" or "Activate shadow," X comes to a screeching halt. I can move the cursor around, but not much else; CPU Usage Monitor freezes. Don't know if anybody else is having this bug, er, feature, and it's not a big deal to me, but figured I should mention it.

Also, I'm just gonna stick this here, since I couldn't justify starting a new thread given that nobody's gonna know the answer. ;) The "spider menu" on the left side of the LXPanel, the not-Start menu, how do you edit its appearance? I don't mean the stuff in the main menu (which is why it's been so hard to google an answer to this) but that spider icon itself.
  • seawolfseawolf December 2009
    Hi Vinyl --

A nice shadow & fade-in appearance thing I use is xcompmgr. It's in the repos and I use the following line the 'Auto-started Applications' program to start it with log-in:

xcompmgr -c -r 10 -f -F -D 5

Hope it helps!
    Is that what happened? I tried to call on something that wasn't there?
  • seawolfseawolf December 2009
    I would hazard a guess that the graphics driver in use isn't a 3D-capable one; I only told of xcompmgr because it works with VESA drivers :)

Which graphics card & driver are you currently using?
    ?
    No, wait, I know this one.... I think it's a "Voodoo videocard"...? 'Cause that's what my friend wrote on the case before giving up on selling it and having me take it.
    And I assume I'm using the VESA driver, 'cause that's just what comes installed default, right...?
  • sporkspork December 2009
    To see your videocard, type this in a terminal:
    lspci | grep VGA

It will show the manufacturer and the model number (according to Slitaz).

Also: The "spider" icon is in /usr/share/pixmaps (named slitaz-menu.png). Just copy your image into that directory and name it slitaz-menu.png (it will overwrite the slitaz icon and wil change everyone's Menu icon, so beware). But be careful - if you upgrade slitaz-configs, your custom icon will be overwritten by the default one!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social