This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

VirtualBox can't load kernel modules
  • avamkavamk January 2011
    Hello,
    I just tried the new, cooking, virtualbox-ose-4.0.2 package in my installation of SliTaz cooking. When starting a virtual machine, I get the following error:

One of the kernel modules was not successfully loaded. Make sure that no kernel modules from an older version of VirtualBox exist. Then try to recompile and reload the kernel modules by executing '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup' as root (VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND)

I checked and there is no /etc/init.d/vboxdrv, what did I miss? Thanks.
  • GokhlayehGokhlayeh January 2011
    Hi,
    you have to
    modprobe vboxdrv
    as root
    I did 'sudo modprobe vboxdrv' but it produced no output, I then tried to start a virtual machine and got the same error..... what else am I missing?
    I think you should get root rights using 'su'; and check the module is well loaded using 'lsmod | grep vboxdrv'

I just compile & install this last version of virtualbox-ose and it works well.
    I 'su'ed into root, and did 'lsmod | grep vboxdrv', which gave me:

vboxdrv               143553  0

But starting a virtual machine still gives me:

One of the kernel modules was not successfully loaded. Make sure that no
    kernel modules from an older version of VirtualBox exist. Then try to
    recompile and reload the kernel modules by executing
    '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup' as root (VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND)

I installed VirtualBox through the virtualbox-ose package in cooking, should I use the get-virtualbox package instead? Or should I download the installer from virtualbox.org and run that? Please let me know what you did to get it to work well. Thanks!
    @Gokhlayeh: I just tried the get-virtualbox package, but I got errors during installation like this:

"As our installer does not recognize your Linux distribution, we were unable to
    set up the initialization script vboxdrv correctly.  The script has been copied
    copied to the /etc/init.d directory.  You should set up your system to start
    it at system start, or start it manually before using VirtualBox.

As our installer does not recognize your Linux distribution, we were unable to
    set up the initialization script vboxweb-service correctly.  The script has been copied
    copied to the /etc/init.d directory.  You should set up your system to start
    it at system start, or start it manually before using VirtualBox.

Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS ...failed!
      (Failed, trying without DKMS)
    Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules ...failed!
      (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)"

I tried to do 'sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup', and got:

"Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS ...failed!
      (Failed, trying without DKMS)
    Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules ...failed!
      (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)"

So I looked at /var/log/vbox-install.log , which has:

Makefile:178: *** Error: /usr/src/linux (version can't find file arch/x86/Kconfig 2.6.36-slitaz) does not match the cur\
    rent kernel (version 2.6.36-slitaz).  Stop.

How did you get it to work???
    Strange, as I just doas root:
    <code>
    tazpkg get-install virtualbox-ose
    modprobe vboxdrv
    </code>
    Then launch VirtualBox and launch my virtual machine...

Maybe you're cooking is not up to date and use the 2.6.34 kernel while virtualbox-ose have been compile for the new one - 2.6.36.
    I am using the newest, 2.6.36, kernel with fully updated cooking system. I managed to start a virtual machine with minimal settings (no network, bare minimum video settings, etc.), other than that I always get the same errors. I can't even install the extension pack.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social