This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Multiboot
  • ChrisMossChrisMoss November 2009
    I have two hard drives, one is entirely Windows the second has Suse Linux (3 partitions) and I have install Slitaz on the 4th partition. Grub was set up by Suse and successfully boots Windows and Suse but I am unable to get Slitaz to boot. I have run the Grub command line and it identifies the vmlinuz-2.6.25.5-slitaz on hd1,3 however I am unable to get it to boot. The current grub entry is:

Slitaz
    kernel (hd1,3)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.5-slitaz root=/dev/sdb4

This setup starts to boot then halts with the following message:

Kernel panic - not syncing : VFS : unable to mount rootfs on unknown block(0,0)

I have tried copying the rootfs.gz from the Live CD to the boot folder but I still get the same error. I have read on some forums about needing to compile the IDE driver to the kernel but not sure if this is relevant. I have also seen a comment about memory modules but as I am currently sending this from the same machine that sounds unlikely.

Any suggestions how to fix this would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Chris
  • slicelslicel November 2009
    Grub for standard slitaz installation on 2nd drive (sata), 4th partition-

title SliTaz GNU/Linux (cooking) (Kernel vmlinuz-2.6.25.5-slitaz)

root (hd1,3)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.5-slitaz root=/dev/sdb4
    Thanks for the suggestion however I tried the suggested cofiguartion but I received error 15 (file not found) from grub. I also used the find command to check where the vmlinuz file was but grub could not see the kernal find on hd1,3 but only on hd1,1 (Suse). I check from /sbin/init and it was correctly identified on both partitions so I am slightly confused.

I will check again that I have the capitalisation correct but if it is correct I am at a loss to understand why Grub seems unable to see the kernel file.

I will update once I have done that.

Thanks

Chris
  • slicelslicel November 2009
    Grub now finds your partition but cannot find a file.

"I have tried copying the rootfs.gz from the Live CD to the boot folder but I still get the same error. "

I do not have rootfs.gz in my boot folder. I would reinstall slitaz and then try the proper grub entry again.
  • asimoasimo November 2009

Kernel panic - not syncing : VFS : unable to mount rootfs on unknown block(0,0)

This message is that kernel has booted successfully but the mounting device is not correct.
    I suppose that root=/dev/sdb4 isn't but root=/dev/hdb4 is.
    SliTaz is using old ide kernel driver which assigned device file as hda1, hda2..., hdb1, hdb2...
    After running various grub commands, installing the latest cooking version and some trail and error I have finally managed to get Slitaz to boot. In the end I'm not sure what fixed the problem but it seems fine now.

Thanks for the help - the next challenge is setting up printing!!

Chris

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social