This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

[solved - partially] no tty when logged in to X desktop
  • monzmonz March 2010
    I have SliTaz installed on several laptops, and i update them all regularly. With the latest version, i am no longer able to access the virtual terminals (tty) using the Ctrl-Alt-F1 (F2, F3, etc.) keys, when i am logged in to the X desktop via Slim. It used to work, up until about the time that SliTaz upgraded to either the 2.6.30.6 or possibly the 2.6.29.3 kernel.

If i logout of X and then use the username "exit" when logging in to Slim again, it closes the X desktop and takes me to the virtual tty1 and asks for a login. And from here i have access to all 6 of the virtual tty's. But then if i do "startx" from the command-line, it takes me to the X desktop just fine, and everything works ... except for the virtual tty's on Ctrl-Atl-F1 etc.

I saw in /etc/group that the tty group had no usernames after the last colon, and so i added mine. But on rebooting nothing changed.

Any help on this?
  • monzmonz March 2010
    I just switched from Xvesa to Xorg on my newest laptop (Toshiba Satellite A215-s5850), and now the virtual terminals work again.

I have installed the latest version of SliTaz on some older laptops, and so they also are running Xorg instead of Xvesa, and the ttys work on them too. So the ttys just don't work under Xvesa anymore.
  • monzmonz April 2010
    I just upgraded my SliTaz usb-drive (memory-stick) installations, and realized that Xvesa should be used for this, since i boot many different machines from it. I tried using Xorg with the xvesa driver, but slim would not work with that. So i changed /etc/slim.conf to boot into Xvesa.

This gives me a correct bootup to the X desktop ... but once again, as long as the X server is running (under Xvesa), my tty's are unavailable. If i exit X completely (logging in as "exit" in slim), then all 6 of my tty's return. Can this be fixed so that the tty's are available even when Xvesa is running?
  • erniaernia April 2010
    so you have both Xorg and xvesa? would this not screw up /etc/init.d/hwconf.sh?
  • monzmonz April 2010
    I really don't understand all that well what is going on with X. If i do a search, the result is this:

# tazpkg search vesa

Search result for : vesa

Installed packages
    ================================================================================
    xorg-server-Xvesa 1.5.3 x-window
    xorg-xf86-video-vesa 2.0.0 x-window
    ================================================================================
    2 installed package(s) found for : vesa

Available packages name-version
    xfree86-Xvesa-4.6.0
    xorg-server-Xvesa-1.5.3
    xorg-xf86-video-vesa-2.0.0
    3 available package(s) found for : vesa

As i've said in many posts, i have SliTaz installed on several different laptops (today the count is 9), as well as on a usb-stick. In the beginning i used Xvesa on all but 2 of them, because Xvesa would not work on those two: one has a Trident card and the other has a Neomagic and both required Xorg.

Now that SliTaz has switched to Xorg, when i do

# tazpkg upgrade

the boot files all switch automatically to Xorg, but i find that sometimes Xorg will only work with the xvesa driver. On the usb-stick, Xorg would not work for me at all and i had to switch /etc/slim.conf to use Xvesa.

If any of this makes sense, i'd appreciate some help. Having the tty's available is important to me, because on some of the older machines the battery still holds a charge but X will run it down fast, whereas the tty will keep it going for a long time.

Thanks.
  • erniaernia April 2010
    about your usbstick you may find this interesting:
    http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/comment/3526/#Comment_3526
    and maybe this too
    http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/comment/4181/#Comment_4181

while i keep thinking that slitaz default should be no xorg.conf at all now i believe that probably it would be sufficent to remove the BusID "PCI:whereyouhaveyourcard" row in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and let xorg use the xvesa driver. i think that the real problem resides in the fact that you probably will not have VGA card in the same position in different machines. This could be done through a sed command in /etc/init.d/hwconf.sh.
    i've no time right now to try the last suggestion i'm giving you, if it works we could ask devs to integrate a sed script in hwconf.sh to remove BusId line.
    please, let me know if it works

about the two machines where xorg does not work i only can suggest what i've suggested here:
    http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/comment/4786/#Comment_4786

Cheers

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social