This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Problem installing
  • the1knightthe1knight February 2011

Hi, I'm having a problem getting any linux distro to install. In fact I'm getting board of trying. As a last ditch resort I decided to sign up here and ask. Here is the problem I am having with SliTaz. System is a Voyager 5000, old thing with a celeron 400Mhz and 168 ram on a 5 gig hd. Pop cd in and let it boot, Loading /boot/bzImage = 1 line of dots.

Loading /boot/rootfs.gz............................................................................

.............................................................................................................  line after line of these, the cd rom is spinning and it's just going on and on. It's been like this for 20 minutes now. PLEASE, PLEASE be gentle with me. I'm not really a linux vet or anything. I use Ubuntu on the pc I'm on now, I can usually install that for candy, but forget Ubuntu on the voyager as it's just not capable. I just wanted something small and light and SliTaz is the third attempt at getting something running. Tried Lubuntu, Damn Small Linux and now this. The latter two just seem to get so far and then they stop. 

Can anyone please help. Is it me??? I'll check back tomorrow as I'm very tired now so I hope someone can help me. No, I pray!!!

• the1knightthe1knight February 2011
    Wow scratch that, it's up. Seems I should just sit and wait for hell to freeze over. It's cold in here lol. I'll keep you posted.
  • core_dumpedcore_dumped February 2011
    You have to adjust your biological clock to the hardware you're using. At 400MHz things will happen ... leisurely.
    Try to install to HDD. Once installed is usable, not lightning fast, but usable.
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za February 2011
    Still, it shouldn't be that slow maybe a minute or two, but not 20 minutes. Generally a slow boot from the LiveCD happens when the CD has errors or is is having trouble reading. The failure of prior linuxes like DSL and Lubuntu tells me that either the CD drive is busy going, the iso wasn't burned correctly or there is some settings in the bios that isn't set correctly. For example I have to set RAM memory checking on in the BIOS before any Linux install works without major errors. Most LiveCD also fail to boot for me.
  • slicelslicel February 2011
    The problem could be too little ram and might be solved by a loram flavor.

See the system requirements, if you can find them.
  • OldGuyOldGuy February 2011
    Memory requirements
    rootfs.gz          144 MB
    rootfs-justx.gz    96 MB
    rootfs-loram.gz   80 MB
    rootfs-base.gz    48 MB
    rootfs-tiny.gz      24 MB

At least those are the info's in the PXE Menu
  • slicelslicel February 2011
    Requirements have been uncertain.

The1knight has 168mb ram (if all work).

A webpage for the slitaz 3 roadmap listed 256mb minimum.

http://pangolin.pimentvert.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/3428#Comment_3428
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za February 2011
    My system is PII 950Mhz, 256MB RAM (32MB which is shared with Video so in reality only 224MB for the system) and 6Gig main drive and 400MB swap. That said, I can run the LiveCD in mere seconds - booting in 10 seconds or less.

Now the difference between his system and mine isn't much, yet it takes more than 20 minutes to boot. Maybe memory is playing a part, so he should try the loram copy, but I also think that the iso's he's booting from has errors or may be corrupted.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social