This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Video Resolution Problem
  • wagoneer89wagoneer89 February 2011
    Thanks to those who helped me get my ThinkPad 600 up and running. Awesome!

Now it's running I'm looking for a fix to both the audio and the video. Video first. I have a NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD 2.0MB video card. As I understand it, from reading the applicable posts to the discussions groups, I need to download and install the file "Linux-agp-2.6.30.6". I searched the net but was only able to find references to it, not the actual location of the file. Can any of you tell me where I can find the file and also the instructions for "installing" it?

I see, on my computer, under "PCI devices - System Information" I'm running the "VGA compatible controller Neomagic Corporation NM2160 [MagicGraph 128XD]"

"Display - System Information" tells me that I'm running in 800 x 600 resolution. The great big black border, and a couple of posts I've seen around the net say this computer will do 1024 x 768.

Questions:
    Do I need to download and install the "Linux-agp-2.6.30.6" file? Logic tells me that the PCI description in SliTax Sys Info and the AGP designation of the file say "No". 

Is there a place that I can simply tell the software to change the resolution?

Edit a configuration file?

Suggestions?

Thanks again... This OS is absolutely AWESOME!

Bill

• Trixar_zaTrixar_za February 2011
    Linux-agp should be installed by default.

SliTaz has a couple of tools to make this easier.
    1. First make sure you're online.
    2. Start xterm and su to root.
    3. Type tazx and pick the first option - wait for it to get the packages list and then pick your card from the options - allow it to install and reconfigure your monitor and stuff.
    4. Type tazhw detect-pci and allow it to install all the modules you may need.

And now your display drivers should be sorted. Now setting the resolution isn't really all that simple by default, but you do get a neat graphical tool called lxrandr that allows you to set it without issues. First make sure you have the xorg-xrandr package installed and then download lxrandr from http://www.trixarian.za.net/downloads/lxrandr.tazpkg - you can install it with the tazpkg install command then. Now all you have to do is go to "Start"-->Preferences-->Monitor Settings and set the resolution to what you want :)
  • wagoneer89wagoneer89 February 2011
    Trixar,

Man you are a glutton for punishment. My thanks.

Ouch! The video card was the first thing, then the audio, then the Ethernet PCMCIA card. I figure the Ethernet card is going to be the hardest.

As a technically adroit friend of mine said to me when I told him it didn't have a native Ethernet card "Man! That's an OLD COMPUTER!! Yup. I might be able to get it to go dial up... if of course, I HAD a telephone line. We're all cellular for the most part. Might be able to set it up on the voip line... never tried that...I'm kinda thinkin' that's a layer too deep in digital.

I'll shove in the PC Ethernet card and see if it says "hello". I'm sure I had a driver disc for it, like 7 years ago.

Of course know one I knew had Linux at the time. I doubt the drivers were on the card anyway.

I'll go see if I can dig it up.

Thanks again.

Bill

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social