This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Can't Browsing Internet On User Mode
  • mrblack234mrblack234 December 2010
    cooking-4in1 can't browsing internet on user mode, but no problem on super user mode (root), pleassss
    help... what permission in command line for the user mode to be able to browse internet again
  • kultexkultex December 2010
    first please what do you use - lan, wifi, umts??? -

it might have to do something with ernias post: http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/1925/cooking-pppd-scripts-umask-prevents-dns-resolution-as-unpriviliged-user-after-first-connection/#Item_2
  • mrblack234mrblack234 December 2010
    Tank's for the answer, I use Nokia 3155 CDMA Modem (dial-up with gnome-ppp)...
  • kultexkultex December 2010
    its the error ernia describes, because resolve.conf is not updated
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za December 2010
    If your using gnome-ppp, you need to run it as root. The easiet way is to go to terminal (xterm) and type su, enter your root password (default is root) and then type gnome-ppp &. Now you can dial up and use the internet without having to be the root user at login.

You could also install the lxshortcut package, go to menu--->internet--->gnome-ppp in the menu, right click it's icon, click properties and change the command from gnome-ppp to gksu gnome-ppp and click OK. Now whenever you start gnome-ppp from the menu, it will ask you for your root password first. This makes gnome-ppp run as root like it did with the terminal trick.
  • erniaernia December 2010
    you need to run gnome-ppp as root because pppd needs root privileges, but if you run browser as unpriviliged user it makes dns resolution accessing /etc/resolv.conf without root privileges.
    i had issues running browser as unpriviliged user (which should be the desiderable behavior) because of http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/1925/cooking-pppd-scripts-umask-prevents-dns-resolution-as-unpriviliged-user-after-first-connection/#Item_2
    when /etc/resolv.conf is backed-up (is it correct english ? hope yes :-) ) from /etc/ppp/ip-up it loose 644 permissions and get 600, the same when /etc/ppp/ip-down restore /etc/resolv.conf, because of the wrong umask of the scripts.
    i don't use gnome-ppp to dial up but i run wvdial in a terminal as root.
    @mrblack234
    may you post the output of
    ls -la /etc/resolv.conf
    ?
    did you browse succesfully as unpriviliged user on your first connection?
    when you can't browse as unpriviliged user and your connection is up does running
    chmod 644 /etc/ppp/resolv.conf
    as root let you browse?
    do this when ppp is already up

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social