This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Google-talk crashes SeaMonkey
  • ms3811ms3811 October 2010
    I downloaded google-talkplugin....deb, converted it to tazpkg, then installed. It required nvidia to be installed as a dependency. In any case the installation went thru smooth. However, once installed, I could not get SeaMonkey to work at all, it would start and crash immediately. Sometimes, it would work briefly on other web sites, but would crash immed if you navigated to www.gmail.com.

Does anyone have any experience getting google-talk to work? Where should I start looking to debug? Thanks for your time.
  • erniaernia October 2010
    in cooking there is a get-google-talkplugin
    you could give it a try, but i don't know if it works for 3.0 too:
    http://mirror.slitaz.org/packages/cooking/get-google-talkplugin-1.00.tazpkg
    yeah that didnt work. get-google-talkplugin downloads the package from google successfully, then

Packing : google-talkplugin-1.5.1.0.1
    ================================================================================

Creating the list of files.../usr/bin/tazpkg: cd: line 2689: can't cd to fs
    [ OK ]
    Creating md5sum of files... [ OK ]
    Compressing the fs... find: fs: No such file or directory

LZMA 4.57 Copyright (c) 1999-2007 Igor Pavlov 2007-12-06
    [ OK ]
    Undating receipt sizes...sed: receipt: No such file or directory
    sed: receipt: No such file or directory
    sed: receipt: No such file or directory
    [ Failed ]
    Creating full cpio archive... [ OK ]
    Restoring original package tree... 1 blocks
    [ OK ]
    ================================================================================
    Package google-talkplugin-1.5.1.0.1 compressed successfully.
    Size : 23.1M google-talkplugin-1.5.1.0.1.tazpkg

Unable to find : google-talkplugin-1.5.1.0.1.tazpkg
    i've fixed the script, remove the package you did install, download the script from here http://hotfile.com/dl/77483306/7dd2a7c/get-google-talkplugin.html and run the script as root.
    let me know if it fix your problem with firefox
    thanks for the trying to fix it. I tried running the fix, didn't work for me. I posted the results in the other thread you started on the same topic.
    is glew available on cooking? maybe I can try to install it from there. I can't check right now, everything except forum.slitaz.org appears to be down.
    i',ve build it for you:
    http://hotfile.com/dl/77571838/c69a424/glew-1.5.5.tazpkg.html
    remove the package google-talkplugin and make sure to have removed all of the previous google-talk-plugin files, even from previous install/uninstall.
    to avoid firefox dependency edit /usr/bin/get-google-talkplugin and substitute firefox with libfirefox in the row "DEPENDS="firefox gcc-lib-base libssl pango gtk+ atk mesa glew \" , then rerun it to build and install a new package.
    let me know if it works.
    hm. I did everything as suggested. Also edited get-google-talkplugin and replaced firefox with seamonkey in both locations (DEPENDS as well as path to copy plugin). It installed successfully without any errors. I can see the plugins are installed in about:plugins, however in gmail if I try to add video and voice to a chat it keeps taking me to the screen where it prompts to install the plugin. Probably because google does not recognize seamonkey as a supported browser for voice and video chat? Not sure, I will check in some time once one of my contacts that I know has video enabled comes online.

Thanks for putting the packages together.
    "Currently Known Issues

* Voice and video plug-in unrecognized
    Some people are experiencing the voice and video plug-in not being recognized by their browser in Gmail. This means that devices may show as 'Detecting devices' in Chat settings or you may be prompted to install the plug-in despite having already installed it. "

from Google Chat > Help articles > Google Chat Known Issues
    mmm, it does not make cooking firefox crash, while it makes my firefox crash in 3.0 if i check tools/addons.
    ok, maybe I should try to upgrade seamonkey to the latest version from the mozilla website.
    i think it depends from libssl and libcrypto 3.0 version, i'm trying to understand something about that
    please,try this command:
    ldd /usr/share/google-talkplugin/GoogleTalkPlugin > lddok
    . you should not have any output if there is no error. You very likely will have the following output:

/usr/share/google-talkplugin/GoogleTalkPlugin: /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8: no version information available (required by /usr/share/google-talkplugin/GoogleTalkPlugin)
    /usr/share/google-talkplugin/GoogleTalkPlugin: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8: no version information available (required by /usr/share/google-talkplugin/GoogleTalkPlugin)

building libcrypto and libssl in a 3.0 chroot with the cooking receipt and installing them makes the error disappear and firefox stop crashing when i check my addons, and i see google talk plugin and google talk plugin accelerator in plugins.
    if you want to try you can download the libs here:
    http://hotfile.com/dl/77672763/97c3543/libcryptolibssl1.0.0.tar.bz2.html
    you could try if the plugin works this way, i don't even own a webcam :-)

this upgrade could arouse some issues with programs depending on libssl, libcrypto and/or openssl. you can check if you have such programs in your system with the commands:
    tazpkg -rdepends libcrypto
    and for packages you don't have in your system here: http://pkgs.slitaz.org/search.cgi . the depends search give you reverse dependency too.
    in my system:
    fabio@sl3:~$ tazpkg rdepends libcrypto
    libcurl (288.0k)
    curl (288.0k)
    claws-mail (gtklife

both curl and claws-mail have stop working. i've rebuild curl and libcurl against the new openssl libs and they work, claws-mail does not work.
    i've created two links named as the old libs to the new libs
    ln -s /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8
    ln -s /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
    and all seems to work, claws-mail too, which i have not rebuild. reinstalling old version of libcurl and curl keep things working, so making the two links should not break your system, but i have read somewhere that it's not a good way to follow. must investigate about that, you could try the plugin meantime.
    PS if someone is more inside these things and has a link to a good reading about shared libs could please post it here? :-)
    ldd /usr/share/google-talkplugin/GoogleTalkPlugin > lddok

gives the same output you posted. libcrypto on my system has libcurl, curl and flash-plugin as dependents(?).

I will try the new libraries and see if that gets google-talk working. For what its worth, I don't chat much either, figured might as well see this to the end since we've already spent so much time on it. Hopefully, it will benefit other users.

I will check and post back the results.
    Ok, so curl and flash-plugin seem to be working fine with the new libraries. GoogleTalk has the same issue, i.e. gmail does not detect the plugin as installed.
    ok, we can give up :-)
    put your old libs back, you never know :-)
    only problem is, I don't have the old libs anymore, they got replaced. guess I can always copy them back from another machine or reinstall that packages. thanks for trying anyway.
    ok, was able to reinstall the packages from the repos.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social