This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

[SOLVED] TTY support for RFCOMM not enabled even after recompile
  • ms3811ms3811 June 2010
    I followed the instructions at http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:bluetooth. As pointed out in the guide,

zcat /proc/config.gz | grep RFCOMM

returns

CONFIG_BT_RFCOMM=m
    # CONFIG_BT_RFCOMM_TTY is not set

So I went ahead and downloaded linux-source, then rebuilt the RFCOMM module with TTY support enabled. The module compiles successfully. However, after replacing rfcomm.ko in /lib/modules/...../rfcomm/, I am still unable to get TTY support. "rfcomm bind all" does not create /dev/rfcomm0. "rfcomm bind rfcomm0" returns "Can't create device: Operation not supported" and "zcat /proc/config.gz | grep RFCOMM" still shows up as "# CONFIG_BT_RFCOMM_TTY is not set".

Been googling this for a couple of days now without luck. Any pointers on what I'm doing wrong? I also upgraded all the packages just to be on the safe side, still no luck.
  • ms3811ms3811 June 2010
    Is there a place where I can download the latest bluez package (bluez-4.64)? The download at www.bluez.org needs to be compiled and I'm not very familiar with compiling stuff on linux.

Maybe this release has a fix for the RFCOMM TTY support?
  • seawolfseawolf June 2010
    Does the Bluez package over in Cooking work?
    => (EDIT: it's the same version!)

Come to think of it, can you use the Cooking kernels okay? I'm using my own v2.6.34 kernel without a problem here. That may elliminate using the one-off module.

If you want some reading, this page has a decent overview of software compilation:
    => http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/softinstall.html
    Note that SliTaz (and a number of other distros) use the directories /usr/bin, /usr/lib etc. so the configure line should be:
    ./configure --prefix=/usr
  • ms3811ms3811 June 2010
    Just checked the installed version, it is 4.62. Do you think there could be a difference in the version over in Cooking? I tried using the Cooking kernels initially and ran into some issues with the wired network consistency. So I switched to stable and it's been a lot more reliable.

I'll try the bluez pkg from cooking anyway to see if it helps. Thanks.
  • ms3811ms3811 June 2010
    Btw, where does the ./configure line go? I was following the steps at http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:bluetooth. Should this parameter be used with the make command to compile the rfcomm module (sorry to be such n00b)? thanks.
  • ms3811ms3811 June 2010
    sorry ignore the prev post, just read the link you sent!
  • seawolfseawolf June 2010
    Sorry but I'm not in SliTaz at the moment and stupidly made the assumption it was a newer version! My fault entirely.

The configure line is used only when compiling *software* yourself. It sets up 'make' to compile the software source code in to an executable. The software I'm referring to is Bluez, not the kernel module. The module compiles along with the rest of the kernel and should be loaded with 'modprobe' and checked with 'lsmod'. I think you may have to update the kernel's list of modules after you copy it in.
  • ms3811ms3811 June 2010
    I am assuming by "update the kernel's list of modules" you mean running the command "make modules modules_install && modules -update"?

Is there another way to update the kernel's list of modules? I am presently running the above command, it's taking forever. If this doesn't work I'll switch back to Cooking and see if I can get that working. Thanks for the pointers.
  • mojomojo June 2010
    Try this:
    root@slitaz: depmod -a 

root@slitaz: modinfo rfcomm

root@slitaz: modprobe rfcomm 

root@slitaz: udevadm trigger 

• ms3811ms3811 June 2010
    that worked. thank you very much.

Now I have a different problem, wvdial connects via bluetooth, initiates the modem and then after a few seconds disconnects with status 0x3. Trying to figure this one out now!

Btw, I did try switching to the cooking kernels, but seems like the broadcom-wl package is broken in cooking. I did a fresh install, then installed broadcom-wl, and confirmed that the package is installed. But when I try to load it, it cannot find the package. And wl does not show up in the list of drivers in wifibox either. Tried this a couple of times with exact same results. Switching back to stable resolves this issue.
  • ms3811ms3811 June 2010
    Ok, finally the status 0x3 is gone as well. Not sure exactly which tweak fixed it,
    but I have a working ppp connection through my blackberry.

Thanks everyone for all the help, couldn't have done without it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social