This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

?howto: hardware inventory?
  • lmartlmart April 2010
    Is there a way to (1) query the laptop, identify all hardware and, (2) output the results to a text file?

Reason for asking: my laptop has a built-in memory stick reader, pcmcia, wi-fi and bluetooth. None work/recognized. Unable to determine if (1) the hardware is recognized or (2) if recognized but lack the correct drivers.

Notice during boot as things fly by rapidly, there is often a [failed] notice. Is there a way to capture messages sent to the screen? It may be helpful in this process.
  • eastitelleastitell April 2010
    In X window you can view the boot log by clicking the menu button, system tools, show boot log
  • mark60mark60 April 2010
    I haven't used it but you can try dmidecode. Install the package (available in repos) and dump the output to a text file.
    dmidecode > 'file name here'
    You can then open the file in leafpad for a good look.
    Look at dmesg also. It will give you a lot of info on how the kernel is handling hardware. If you want to see the boot messages open the menu and go to system tools/show boot log. You can then page up and down to see everything.
  • slicelslicel April 2010
    Also, there are usb, pci and hw packages.

I think the xterm commands are-

lsusb
    lspci
    lshw
  • Gerry_GGerry_G May 2010
    Network Inventory Advisor can do this for you. http://www.clearapps.com/
  • lmartlmart May 2010
    All,
    Thanks for your posts. Comments/Questions follow:

eastitell; do you know the location of the boot.log file?
    mark60; dmidecode gives a lot of information, going through it to find built-in memory stick reader, pcmcia, wi-fi and bluetooth; will advise
    slicel; np success with lsusb; lspci and lshw work
    Gerry_G; will research clearapps
  • slicelslicel May 2010
    Menu/System_Tools/Show_Boot_Log

/var/log
  • lmartlmart May 2010
    thanks slicel,
    #1 no succss with lsusb and tazpkg get-install lsusb doesn't work, any ideas?
    #2 still can't find my built-in sony memory stick reader, any ideas?
  • slicelslicel May 2010
    #1 Lsusb is the exterm command and usbutils is the package.

#2 Try installing utils (usb, pci, pcmcia). Some internal devices are usb.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social