This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

"failed to execute login command"
  • tikbalangtikbalang April 2010
    using slitaz 3.0, i can only login as root. when i try to autologin as "tux" i get the error:

"failed to execute login command"

what is the solution?
  • seawolfseawolf April 2010
    Are you using the LiveCD or a hard-disk installation?
    If it's the latter, this has been answered a few times; see: http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/comment/2808/#Comment_2808
    and various other posts, searchable with Google.
  • TimboTimbo April 2010
    I have this issue with a Live USB build. Home is set to the usb drive to enable personal data to be persistent, and the ~/.xinitrc file is present.
    I can overcome the problem by not using the home folder on the USB, but of course data is then not persistent unless I resave the whole fs.

Looking in /var/log/slim.log I see:-
    [...] client 3 rejected from localhost (uid= 1000 gid= 1000 pid [....] for every login attempt.
    Also on the first attempt there is a line:-

sed: /home/tux/.config/lxpanel/default/panels/panel: No such file or directory
    This doesn't exist in /etc/skel either......
  • DroneDrone October 2010
    I have tried to fix this several times without success. I gave it another try today. I made fresh usb install with 3.0-stable. Once again upon boot I get "Failed to Execute Login Command" when presented with the "tux" user login. I have to login with root root.

I am root...

The thread mentioned above:

http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/comment/2808/#Comment_2808

With the April 26 post from Lux says to do this:

# rmdir /home/tux
    # cp -a /etc/skel /home/tux
    # cp /root/.xinitrc /home/tux
    # mkdir -p /home/tux/.config/slitaz
    # cp -a /etc/slitaz/applications.conf /home/tux/.config/slitaz
    # chown -R tux:tux /home/tux

Well, the first command doesn't work, my /home/tux directory is NOT empty as suggested by Lux in his post, but is obviously screwed up somehow. Never mind, I just replace the first line above with:

# rm -r /home/pomme

Now the second line:

Throws the error:

cp: cannot preserve the ownership of '/home/tux....' Operation not permitted

Even if I go through the rest of the steps, the problem is not fixed. upon reboot I have the same error and can only login as root. It is troubling to see how long this bug has been around. Is this fixed in the cooking version?

David
  • DroneDrone October 2010
    I have tried to fix this several times without success. I gave it another try today. I made fresh usb install with 3.0-stable. Once again upon boot I get "Failed to Execute Login Command" when presented with the "tux" user login. I have to login with root root.

I am root...

The thread mentioned above:

http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/comment/2808/#Comment_2808

With the April 26 post from Lux says to do this:

# rmdir /home/tux
    # cp /root/.xinitrc /home/tux
    # mkdir -p /home/tux/.config/slitaz
    # cp -a /etc/slitaz/applications.conf /home/tux/.config/slitaz
    # chown -R tux:tux /home/tux

Well, the first command doesn't work, my /home/tux directory is NOT empty as suggested by Lux in his post, but is obviously screwed up somehow. Never mind, I just replace the first line above with:

# rm -r /home/pomme

Now the second line:

Throws the error:

cp: cannot preserve the ownership of '/home/tux....' Operation not permitted

Even if I go through the rest of the steps, the problem is not fixed. upon reboot I have the same error and can only login as root. It is troubling to see how long this bug has been around. Is this fixed in the cooking version?

David
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za October 2010
    I had the exact same problem with the undigested iso of cooking after installing to the HDD.

It seems to be a three-fold problem with /etc/skel not having all the correct files, /home/username not being created properly and something in slim not working properly either.

I remember fixing this by booting off the CD iso and copying over the CD's tux user files and changing the permissions. Funny how the ISO boots perfectly, but the HDD install doesn't ^.^
  • s0u4t3us0u4t3u December 2010
    The persistence and tux autologin problem is saned with ext3 formatted disk. But the new user problem login is the same in slitaz cooking (new).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social