This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

[SOLVED] get-virtualbox broken for upgrade to VirtualBox 3.1.6
  • monzmonz April 2010
    On a SliTaz 3.0 stable system, i had VirtualBox 3.1.2 working fine, with the single exception that in my Windows XP guest i could not play audio or video files, with either Windows Media Player or Winamp.

So i thought upgrading to the latest version of VirtualBox might help ... but when i use the get-virtualbox script, i get this error message:

# get-virtualbox
    Connecting to download.virtualbox.org (72.5.124.114:80)
    VirtualBox-3.1.6-593 100% |*******************************| 50519k 00:00:00 ETA
    Creating directory install
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing VirtualBox for Linux installation.........
    /usr/bin/get-virtualbox: line 64: +patch: not found

I have patch installed on my system, but i don't understand most of the get-virtualbox script, so i don't know what is wrong. Clicking on the VirtualBox desktop icon does nothing. I also did

# find / | grep VirtualBox

and, as expected, did not find an executable for VirtualBox. So now i have no VirtualBox at all. Please help.
  • monzmonz April 2010
    I saw this discussion:
    http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/comment/4912/#Comment_4912

and so i tried deleting the extra plus-sign. Then i ran the fixed get-virtualbox and got this response:

# /usr/bin/get-virtualbox
    Connecting to download.virtualbox.org (72.5.124.114:80)
    VirtualBox-3.1.6-593 100% |*******************************| 50519k 00:00:00 ETA
    Creating directory install
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing VirtualBox for Linux installation.........
    patching file routines.sh
    patch: hunk #2 FAILED at 252
    patch: 1 out of 2 hunk FAILED
    patching file vboxdrv.sh
    patch: hunk #1 FAILED at 63
    patch: 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED

and clicking on the desktop icon still gives no result.

I see from later comments further down in that older discussion that this error message was the result then too. So i actually had to remove and re-install patch to get it all fixed:

# tazpkg remove patch
    # tazpkg get-install patch

Now VirtualBox 3.1.6 is working fine.
  • erniaernia April 2010
    in my opinion the problem is not on Virtualbox side but only on Slitaz side, Virtualbox version does not matter.
    did you get passing usb devices to the virtual machine working as normal user?
  • monzmonz April 2010
    I have not tried that yet ... but i do have VirtualBox Guest Additions installed (that was a real pain - it required downloading linux-source and took a long time), and was able to use the "shared folders" feature, mounting my SliTaz /home directory as a Windows Network shared folder.

What surprised me was that i already had patch installed and had to re-install it in order to make the corrected get-virtualbox script work properly.
  • erniaernia April 2010
    if you reinstall busybox --forced it overwrites your /usr/bin/patch with a link to busybox.
    did you do that?
  • monzmonz April 2010
    I don't know for sure, but most likely i did do that at some point. In fact, i meant to check if /usr/bin/patch was a link or a real file before i re-installed patch, but i forgot to do that. Anyway, thanks, i think that's what happened in my case.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social