This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Minor issues with new cooking
  • ms3811ms3811 November 2010
    Ok, so I installed the latest cooking. 'Looks' really awesome.

1. New user creation still has the bug, does not copy all the necessary files from skel properly. Well, /etc/skel is still missing a bunch of files. Adding the necessary files to /etc/skel and then creating a new user results in the good old "failed to execute login command". Turns out instead of copying the contents of /etc/skel to /home/newuser, it actually creates a new folder /home/newuser/skel and copies the contents there. Fixing that solves the issues.
    2. My laptop's touchpad supported 'tapping' for left-click on stable, and that's no longer working on cooking. Can't seem to figure out where to activate it, if that is even possible.
    3. I removed xterm and replaced it with sakura. But when I try to run sakura as a non-root user, the terminal window launches but does not get to the prompt, just hangs with a blank window. Runs fine as root. Xterm runs fine as non-root (I will try another reinstall just to see if this was caused by me messing around with issue #1).
    4. Frequent "(process:2312): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library. Using the fallback 'C' locale." errors when running applications from terminal.
    5. tazpkg get-install app throws the following warnings:

Warning in file "/usr/share/applications/pcmanfm.desktop": usage of MIME type "x-directory/normal" is discouraged ("x-directory" is an old media type that should be replaced with a modern equivalent)
    Warning in file "/usr/share/applications/pcmanfm-find.desktop": usage of MIME type "x-directory/normal" is discouraged ("x-directory" is an old media type that should be replaced with a modern equivalent)
    Warning in file "/usr/share/applications/pcmanfm-folder-handler.desktop": usage of MIME type "x-directory/gnome-default-handler" is discouraged ("x-directory" is an old media type that should be replaced with a modern equivalent)
    Warning in file "/usr/share/applications/pcmanfm-folder-handler.desktop": usage of MIME type "x-directory/normal" is discouraged ("x-directory" is an old media type that should be replaced with a modern equivalent)
    Also, smplayer depends on mplayer-svn which is not in the repos. Installing mplayer (which is available) seems to do the needful.
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za November 2010
    ... double post error ^.^
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za November 2010
    #3 is probably caused by the removal of xterm. I found on stable if you remove xterm it tends to break some scripts, even if you have an replacement terminal like sakura installed.

I believe errors #4 and #5 can safely be ignored. You'd see the same in Puppy and Ubuntu with many applications run via Terminal.
    I have been using sakura without xterm on stable for awhile now without any issues. In fact, my other laptop that's running stable does not have xterm installed, only sakura. On this box, both are installed, but sakura still doesn't work.
  • mojomojo November 2010
    Xterm/Sakura reads ~/.profile on execution, if the permissions are wrong or the files damaged it's going to cause problem.

@mojo, thanks. I checked ~/.profile, made sure it mirrors the permissions from my other stable install, still no luck. Also, xterm works without any issues.
    For those who care, #2 above was resolved by installing xorg-xf86-input-synaptics. Touchpad behavior can be fine-tuned by editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/35-synapics.conf (see http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/karmic/man4/synaptics.4.html for various options).
    In /etc/init.d/rc.shutdown, the following lines at the end of the file,

echo " "
    usleep_progress
    echo " "

throws an error during shutdown. What is the purpose behind this line? Are there any downsides to commenting it out? The command usleep requires time in microseconds as a parameter. What does usleep_progress do?
  • LineaLinea November 2010
    Hi ms3811

usleep_progress is in rc.functions. Now fixed : http://hg.slitaz.org/slitaz-boot-scripts/rev/05ced4fe03dd

Paul
    Got it. I tested the fix and works ok.

Thank you.
  • GokhlayehGokhlayeh November 2010
    Hi,

About the sakura problem : vte has the same problem, lxterminal - which use vte - too. Sakura also use vte, so it's probably the source of the problem. I'm looking for a solution.
    @Gokhlayeh, thanks. Let me know if you find something. xterm is a bit of a pain in the back region :).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social