This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Boot into memory from HD and data persistence
  • avamkavamk October 2010
    I have some experience setting up Linux systems, but is definitely still a NEWBIE, so detailed instructions would be awesome:

Is there a way to install the latest Slitaz onto a HD, but still have the whole system boot into memory like from a live CD or USB?

Also, I like to set up a groupware server (such as Citadel or SOGo). But since its database might get large I would like it to reside on the HD, and NOT loaded into memory like the rest of the system.

So, I am thinking something like this:

Partition 1: Store compressed filesystem for everything (including system, and server software, etc.), EXCEPT the server database. All of this (again which includes the OS) boots completely into memory upon startup.

Partition 2: Store nothing but the database. This is persistent and will be accessed by the server software once the system is active.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!
  • ms3811ms3811 October 2010
    "Is there a way to install the latest Slitaz onto a HD, but still have the whole system boot into memory like from a live CD or USB?"

is that even possible? Just curious.
  • tikbalangtikbalang October 2010
    it is possible using frugal install.
    So I take it, there's no way to do that on a normal install?
  • tikbalangtikbalang October 2010
    it depends on how you define "normal". to me, normal install is when the files are uncompressed and fully laid out on the disk. copying all that into memory at boot time would make no sense.

it would be better to keep the files compressed and unzip only the relevant ones when needed, hence the need for frugal install.

what you want is possible but you have to create your own boot scripts and init method.
    makes sense. thanks for explaining.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social