This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Sound ALSA Slitaz LinuxProblems
  • hantorhantor October 2010
    Sound in Slitaz has gone in Celibat !!!! ALSA advanced linux sound arhitecture --> AAGA Advanced Arhitecture Problem Generator ! You can kill your self getting sound to work ! Kernel supports it ALSA aparently support it 100% Slitaz find it and configuered it but magicaly still no sound ! Its not only Slitaz relaited problem ! Many other distros have also ALSA no sound desese ! So what is Linux with no sound you can picture it self ! I urge eny user to post their problem with linux what so ever as much as posibly often ! So no one can praise Linux to the Heaven eny more ! Linux as pure os is one of the kind, but everything arround it, on top off it can be wery questionable ! Thus so many problems with it ! At my wery laic opinion everything arround the kernel is wrong implemented ! Everbody of developers and comunity has only one thing in mind and that is command line as in dos times ! Many user will strongly dissagree that but when problems occur the only solution is command line ! No unified package management, no unified standard free as a chicken on backyard - headless kaos ! Free software as free problems ! The more the freedom the more the problems ! As result To Many Problems With Linux ! Maybe becose its free i dont know ! If i have the money i will buy MAC ! Now i see with diferent eyes to the Windows despite the problems with viruses malware rootkits and security ... Widely available drivers on all pc platform 1000% compatibility and it simply works if you install some strong security relaited software with some reasonable care what you execute ! So why user can not in linux install software with few mouse klicks like in windows ! Some hardware is present now for ages but still the same problems again and again and again ! Graphic cards can not develop full speed due to driver license policy and so on and on and on ! Thank you Linux now i aprishieate Windows more ! Ease of use in Linux is an utopic dream and will newer be apropriete for common average and laic user ! So when will be seing linux with ease of use like windows - utopic dream ! Ask me in 10 years !
  • babaorumbabaorum October 2010
    logorrheaic troll go home... image

(and learn that exclamation point is 3vil ...)
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za October 2010
    Grammar! Punctuation! Spelling! Paragraphs!

Do you know who you sound like? You sound like me when I first met Linux. My problem was that I expected it to be like Windows. I expected things just to work too. I also never gave Linux a proper chance. Running Linux is a virtualbox for example isn't really giving it a chance. You misconfigure the virtualbox and guess what? Linux won't work like you'd expect.

What did I learn once I gave Linux a proper chance and dove into it head first? Linux is better than Windows in many ways once you learn to let go of your GUI training wheels and get your hands dirty. Google tends to have most of the answers and people will actually help you on forums. Now I dare you to do the same with Windows. Nope, you need to prove that you have a legal copy first before they give you support... Also, if you don't like something, there is several alternatives to choose from. Don't like GNOME? Use LXDE. Don't like LXDE? Use KDE. Don't like KDE? Use XFCE. And so on and so on. You've got a choice now. That's what the Linux's freedom is. The freedom to choose and the freedom to adapt the OS to YOU and not force you to adapt to the OS.

Don't compare Linux terminal with DOS. I've used dos and Linux terminal will always be way more powerful. Many Linux GUI stuff are just extensions of existing cli commands. It's powerful and once you learn it, you'll love it. I promise you that much.

If your having this problem with several distros then it's probably your hardware. Don't expect Linux's kernel to have everything. Don't assume Windows can run everything either. My on-board sound crashes with Windows, even with the latest Drivers. It's a bug in Windows XP all the way to Windows 7. This however doesn't happen in Linux, which is strange right? ALSA also isn't part of the kernel. It's one of the MANY sound managers out there. You could use OSS or PulseAudio instead of ALSA.

I can name hardware that refuses to work with certain PCs. I work with PCs on a daily basis and I can tell you about driver issues, hardware compatiablity issues and more, where no matter what you do, you can't get it to work. Be it Linux or Windows. That's just a fact of life.

Btw, you do know that MacOs is based off Unix right? So basically you want to trade in your PC/Laptop for a Apple Mac or Powerbook with hardware spesifically designed to be compatiable with MacOs' Unix kernel.

Anyway, I've said my piece. It's your choice to use Windows or not. I'm not going to dictate you about that. But please, PLEASE give Linux a fair chance without expecting it to be Windows. It's greater than that, once you get to know it...
  • ms3811ms3811 October 2010
    The beauty of Linux lies in choice! That starts with the OS itself. You can choose not to use it. I gave up on Windows because I got tired of the constant decreases in performance over time (a phrase whose origin can probably be attributed to Windows), 'waiting' for boot up, innumerable virus/malware/spyware threats and the resultant slavery to more bloatware (read anti-virus/security software), expensive and unwarranted upgrades, ever increasing hardware requirements at no perceptible increase in performance, the list goes on. Honestly, what is the value add to the end user from MS Office 2000 all the way to 2010? Other than the costs, utterly confusing 'new' interface, doubling of build size, and ridiculous increase in h/w demands! Same goes for XP to Win7. Pity the poor blokes who got caught in the Vista debacle. Mac is proprietary crap and if you wish to accomplish anything beyond what they let you do out of the box, you are worse off than Linux for a variety of reasons -- lack of market share being the least bothersome of them. They take the same box you get for a few hundred dollars, take a free operating system, build a proprietary interface on top and mark it up to a couple thousand dollars! Hats off to them for the interface though, they did do an amazing job. And sorry, I forget the pretty aluminum casing.

So yeah, use Linux if it works for you. Go for Windows if a lumbering trailer truck with 16 axles is your choice for daily commute. Splurge on Mac if you were born with a silver spoon. The choice is yours. Rants are a waste of online real estate. My 2 cents.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social