This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Xircom rem56g-100 pcmcia - HOWTO install with pcmciautils.tazpkg?
  • KozelKozel October 2010
    Hi all,

Sorry, but I am a bit of a newbie. I would like to continue on the following thread.

http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/1864

How do I "install with" that given package with no net (on the Slitaz machine - loram version since it is an old lappy with 64MB RAM)? On the other hand I though that Slitaz 3.0 comes with pcmciautils, don't it?

Also I did try a few weeks back to add the module xirc2ps_cs to rsS.conf, but no luck. I remember that dmesg still talked about "unknow stuff" (etc.), while ejecting and plugging back, but I can post it (transcribe), if needed.

Please advise. Thank you very much in advance!

Cheers,

Kozel
  • mojomojo October 2010
    AFAIK pcmciautils.tazpkg is not included on any slitaz iso
    Does this laptop have a 1.44 mb floppy drive or usb port for flash drive to put pcmciautils.tazpkg on?
    Hi mojo,

Yes it does have both and it also has a DVD ROM. :-)

Do I just unpack it somewhere, or will I have to compile (I don't think I have the headers though)?

Many thanks,

Kozel
  • DeagonDeagon October 2010
    Download "pcmcia-cis" and "pcmciautils" from the stable repository onto another pc.

http://pkgs.slitaz.org/stable/system-tools.html

put them onto a memory stick or CD-RW (mem stick would be best)

Transfer them to your user directory (/home/YOUR USERNAME)

open up a terminal window (menu, utilities, Xterm Terminal)

type "su root" (basically means 'swap to admin account')
    and then put your root password in

the terminal should already have you at the correct directory, but just in case type "cd /home/YOUR USERNAME"

type "ls" to display the contents of those folders (to see the package names)

then we want to try and install those packages with tazpkg manager, so

"tazpkg install pcmcia-cis*"
    and
    "tazpkg install pcmciautils*"

note the * saves you from needing to type the entire name, just make sure you havent got two files with a similar name when you shortcut the name with a *

if it pops up with "missing dependancy NAME" or something similar (i forgot the exact message) then go back onto your other pc and download that package from the STABLE repository also then repeat the same steps as before.

HERE is the package search tool http://pkgs.slitaz.org/search.cgi

once you have the two nessesary packages installed putting xirc2ps_cs into rsS.conf should work (since its pcmcia-cis that contains the module you were trying to load)
    Wow, thanks Deagon!

I will play around, hopefully tonight, but in any case I will post back my results.

One more thing: that missing dependancy (the third package I'll fetch) is sufficient to be present in the same directory as the first two, or will it have to be installed first? Just wondering if I may run into a dependancy trap...

Many thanks,

Kozel
    pcmcia-cis depends on;
    linux (v4l-dvb)
    depmod (88.0k)
    glibc-base (3.7M)
    gcc-lib-base (1.1M)
    zlib (208.0k)
    lzlib (28.0k)
    sysfsutils (112.0k)
    udev (udns)
    util-linux-ng-blkid (216.0k)
    util-linux-ng-uuid (68.0k)

and pcmciautils depends on;
    linux (v4l-dvb)
    depmod (88.0k)
    glibc-base (3.7M)
    gcc-lib-base (1.1M)
    zlib (208.0k)
    lzlib (28.0k)
    sysfsutils (112.0k)
    udev (udns)
    util-linux-ng-blkid (216.0k)
    util-linux-ng-uuid (68.0k)

IF your missing any dependancies, im not really sure since i was online with my 3g modem when i set all this up on my machine, installation should stop when it askes for a dependancy (unless you force the install with --forced, which isnt recommended). You should be able to leave that terminal window open and use another terminal window to install the missing dependancy before continuing with the installation.

unfortunately installing packages offline is manual, so any missing dependancies need to be installed manually too. As for a 'dependancy trap,' i dont really know slitaz well enough to say if ALL those packages came with it already.
    Ok, thank you very much!

Kozel
    Ok guys, card works like a charm (eth0).
    No dependencies for neither package (loram Slitaz - the 120MB, I believe), modprobed xirc2ps_cs ok - net up after restarting network via Control Box, added the module to rcS.conf also via Control Box, and works well after reboot.

Thank you both again!

Cheers,

Kozel

p.s. Solved.
    Ooops! Amidst the whole euphoria I forgot to mention that pcmciautils had been already installed (that was the console output), so it is part of the loram install CD. If needed, I can look at the exact version of that specific .iso.

Cheers,

Kozel
    Pcmciautils is for card control (ejection, reset, etc) "Pccardctl" in the terminal should list what it does. Anyway i'm glad you got it working and got your lappy online.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social