This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Problems con fat disc dvd with 4gb and dvd movies
  • fijatequesuavefijatequesuave October 2010
    Hi All

History : I installed SliTaz 3.0 cooking in two old computers:

A "PII 500 MHz AMD K6 with 512MB of RAM"
    Another "Intel Celeron 500 MHz PIII 256MB ram

Both computers have a drive installed "DVD Read / Write" LG brand.

Both DVD drives work well as a unit of R / W in wME (PII) and wXP PIII)

In both and I can see avi and vcd (PII and PIII) and only films in DVD in the PIII because of the limited power of the central processor of the PII.

Current Problems

In the IIP I can´t access the disc DVD files with 4.2GB of information recorded with various video formats (flv, wmv, avi, mpeg) filled .

Mount box" instead of the DVD drive mounted a "usb" 4GB or partition larger than 4GB

A data dvd with only 1.2 GB is installed any problem

In the PII and PIII the program Mplayer does crash trying to play an avi or mpeg file and note that this error commonly occurs because it was compiled on a different cpu that is using it so it generates an illegal instruction.

In the PII VLC just open the avi or mpeg file and freezes.

In the PIII , only from PcMan, read the files but not the movie In DVD

My DVD disc with 4.2 GB of data, I cant load

PcMan only reads a DVD data with only 1 to 2GB of information

I can hear from PCMan an mp3 or Ogg file in Mplayer

But if I try to read a movie from PCMan CRAH so Mplayer crash

I can't see a movie dvd from Mplayer

The DVD units aren´t damaged In PIII I can see DVD movies but from GEEBOX. And in that PII too with Geebox I can see a vcd or avis without problems

Questions:
    How do I get SliTaz in PII and PIII can read a 4GB dvd information

What should I do to make Mplayer read a DVD film

Thanks

• Trixar_zaTrixar_za October 2010
    To get all the playing formats supported, you need to install the following:
    gstreamer, gst-plugins-base, gst-ffmpeg, gst-plugins-good, gst-plugins-bad, gst-plugins-ugly, mplayer-codecs

To get DVD movies to run\read, you'll need:
    libdvdcss, libdvdread, lsdvd

Hope that helps somewhat
  • fijatequesuavefijatequesuave October 2010
    Thanks Trixar_za for your kind reply

Install everything you said, but I can not watch a DVD clone because the device can not be mounted

This is the first step of the problem.

I'll have to ask for another way to mount the DVD device and not the "demon" or "mount box." When I tried mount a dvd film clone the system freeze. I can´t kill the "mount box" , this don´t reply. I need logout X session

As I said before , I see Dvd clone fims or VCD is not a problem with Geebox in the same machine PII o PIII

Thanks again
  • mojomojo October 2010
    Mounting of optical disks in slitaz is broken.
    Here's another post:
    http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/1495
    On my hard disk install of slitaz-3.0:
    If the cd/dvd disk was burned with a title name it appears as icon with title name in pcmanFM left column.
    Double clicking the icon with title name mounts disk,right click eject unmounts and opens tray.
    I had to comment out an entry in /etc/fstab which automounts cdrom to make eject work.
    If cd/dvd disk has no title name you have to mount/umount from command line. My guess is udev doesn't have rule for creating a default device name mount point when disk has no name.
    I rarely use slitaz for playing video disks, it's too much of a pain :P
    When I do it's mplayer from the command line.
    Ac3 sound on dvd's is not compiled into vlc.
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za October 2010
    I'm afraid mojo is right about that... I have to manually mount my dvd drive with mount /dev/dvd - I also had to create /media/dvd and add a line for it in /etc/dstab to do this.

Otherwise it works pretty well considering. Speaking of which, my HAL broke today... That's what I guess for messing with it like I do :P

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social