This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

How do you install the Iron Browser in 3.0?
  • DragynnDragynn September 2010
    I saw one thread where someone mentioned doing so. What would be the commands to unpack the tar.gz and install?

Thanks!
    I see, thanks, awesome support, great community.

Nvidia drivers don't work either, despite being in the package directory.

Just another semi-functional linux distro i guess...lame.
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za September 2010
    I don't think this is the right distro for you.

With Regards to Iron, did you try reading http://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1638 ?

If you used the forum's search function you would have found MULTIPLE threads on Nvidia packages. Did you try tazhw setup nvidia –non-free ? Did you try the drivers avaliable @ http://people.slitaz.org/~jozee/packages/ ?

You can't base you opinion on a distro by if it has a obscure package you want or not. I'm sorry to say you won't find a distro out there that ships with Iron in the package manager. That's what gives SliTaz it's edge - WE shape it. The down side however is that it's up to YOU to do most of the work. People like me love the challenge. I'd say you'd probably prefer LXDE Mint Linux or PCLinuxOS because it works out of the box and comes with the packages you'd expect and want.

A friendly word of advice is that you can't always rely on support from others, but you can always rely on google and yourself. Even Windows requires some self-reliance in that regard.
    "I'm sorry to say you won't find a distro out there that ships with Iron in the package manager."

Wrong. Puppy linux 5.1.1 has Iron in the package manager, no muss no fuss, one click and it's installed. And I wasn't asking for spoon feeding, your distro doesn't allow commands that work in most versions of Linux, I installed Iron in Ubuntu and in Puppy with no problems.

I used YOUR package manager to try and install the Nvidia drivers YOUR repository listed as available , never would install, no matter what I did, so you need to take them out of your available packages if downloading them has ZERO effect.

Linux distro peeps need to get over this phenomenon of acting like they are above criticism just because they are Linux, if you had no idea how to install Iron, then you should have said so, attacking me for asking a legitimate question makes you look bad. You have no idea what distro is "right for me".

Don't include packages that you haven't tested to see if they actually work in your repository if you don't want to be held accountable when they don't.

I like SliTaz, have in fact said good things about it on other forums, but for you to only respond to a legitimate question when you feel the need to defend some lack of functionality, reflects badly upon the distro.
  • seawolfseawolf September 2010
    As it's not currently packaged (no-one uses the Iron Browser here, so has not had the need to package it) you will need to compile it from source. SliTaz has a system on 'the other side' of the TazPkg called the Wok, for which you write a receipt. This receipt contains all the necessary deps. and commands to build it. Take a look over at the docs site for more info:
    => http://doc.slitaz.org/en:cookbook:devcorner#slitaz-packages

I've never heard of this 'Iron Browser', as is the case with others I should imagine, judging from the responses. There should be some generic instructions to build it, hopefully with some dependency information, written by the Iron team.

HIH.
    I gave you the information you felt you needed to be able to achieve the desired results yourself. I also gave you my opinion on what may better suit your need. I still don't believe SliTaz is right for you. Stick with Puppy - it has more people developing on it and a larger support base.

At the moment I'm talking through a GPRS connection with a usb cable I highjacked from my EDVO modem that wasn't working. I noted the similarity between the connection, forwarded the Device ID to the usb drivers and connected using the right port after trail and error setup. This is what I meant by self-reliance. SliTaz give you that power, if you know how to use it.
    I'll stick with what I like Trixar_za, and i'll make whatever changes I feel necessary to adapt this or any other OS to my needs. No offense intended, but you haven't been any help at all, you were in fact making statements that were patently untrue, so I don't have any confidence in any future statements you might make, i'd prefer to hear from other members of this community in the future if that's okay.

One of whom (and I can't find the message now curse the luck) had already posted that he had sucessfully installed the browser, so based on that i'm assuming that someone with real skills will have a straight answer for me.

Just FYI, regardless of whether you or others here have heard of the browser in question, it is making inroads into many other linux distros, it is based on Chrome, and it is about 3 times faster than Firefox, and at least 10 times faster than that old dog Midori. And regardless of it's merits, it's a matter of whether or not new software is easily installed on your OS, currently it is apparently not, since commands that work fine on most other distros do nothing in slitaz.

And really, that's all anyone had to say in the first place, honesty works. Just say "no we don't know how to install it, try the documentation and maybe you'll get lucky and figure it out, no idea why Nvidia drivers won't work, stick with Xvesa if it works for you." As opposed to ridiculous assessments of what's right for someone you know nothing about, and silly claims that aren't based in fact.

• LineaLinea September 2010
    Hi

I've been trying to build a package for this: http://people.slitaz.org/~paul/iron-linux-5.0.381.tazpkg

But it won't work on Stable 3.0 (glibc too old), but you can try it on the latest 'snapshot': http://mirror.slitaz.org/iso/undigest/
    Thanks Linea!

I downed the package, haven't tried to install, i'm using the xvesa version of 3.0, one thing i did notice in your receipt, is that it lists the wget_url as .../downloads/$TARBALL , so my question is, might that not fetch the 64 bit version instead of the 32? It's showing the packed size as being 15 mb, but the download I have for the 32 bit linux version is around 23 mb.

I simply want my browser of choice for this OS, that's it, nothing else, the beauty of slitaz is that I can UN-install packages, something that's currently not an option in Puppy, and this OS is for my oldest laptop, I simply wish to uninstall anything i'm not going to use, and install a browser, and configure my preferences, then burn an iso so I don't have to do this every single time i pop the cd in and hit power. I own 5 different computers, so no single OS is "right" for me obviously.

Thanks for your help.
    http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/1438

Right here, this cat said he did it.
    The $TARBALL is made form the package name ($PACKAGE), "iron-linux" -- the 64-bit is called "iron-linux64" as the 32-bit is just iron-linux.tar.gz.

I too downloaded a ~15MB from http://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1638 -- the link on the Downloads page -- where did you get yours from?

As Linea said, the verion of GLibC is too old, and an update of it would mean an update of the whole system as everything is compiled against the v2.10. You can try it on Cooking which uses a newer one if I understand correctly. This will be easier when the SliTaz Cooking build-bot is finished, as it was reset recently so is currently working it's way through.
    Same place, the srware site, did it twice and they are both 23 mb. The Puppy package for Iron is about 25 mb, it does allow you too "trim the fat" further prior to installing, i.e. take out extra language packs, documentation, and dev stuff. http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet-packages-lucid/

I guess maybe the guy who was able to install it used the newer cooking version, i'm running 3.0 stable xvesa.

~sigh~ okay, sorry if i've been a jerk in this thread, My second post was on a bad day, and Trixar's reply was a ton of bricks on my already-pissed-off head.

So far i'm stuck in the middle, can't remove packages/dependencies easy in Puppy, can't add ones not in the repository easily to Slitaz....and got another ancient laptop hard-drive that just bit the dust, so have another candidate for this kind of linux install. I love me some SliTaz, just can't abide Midori or Firefox, and i'm going for all out speed in laptop's that are just basically portable browsers, going to use flash USB instead of a hard-drive, it's just almost mind-blowing how fast Iron is on this type of distro, Iron+Puppy netted me almost 4000 on Peacekeeper with an old athlon chip running ddr-400, my neighbor with his brand new 4-core and 8 megs of ddr-gazillion he paid big bucks for,about crapped himself at how fast my desktop runs in this fashion.

Thanks Seawolf.

Sorry Trixar, I should have been more polite.

I understand; it's a shame that it's source code link (at the very bottom of the page) is not working, as we could build it properly rather than having non-matching versions to the Iron devs :-( Perhaps in time they will fix this, then we can write a receipt for it and even include it in the repos.
    I apologise too. I was having an equally bad day at the time. I was way more unprofessional than I meant to be. I should have atleast tried to compile Iron to see how before commenting on it.

Currently I'm on Ubuntu for the second time - installing the snapshot kind of backfired - the iso boots fine and everything, but after I installed it, it just broke. Finally ended up getting Slim and openbox's startup scripts to work (by copying over tux's files from the liveCD), but even when I was dialled up with ppp0 showing, SliTaz refused to use it. So just be warned before you install it. I should be back on good old SliTaz in a hour from now...
    Will do, be careful yourself with Ubuntu, my 10.04 install that had run fine for a month, just fried on a hardware change, found some huge threads of others having the same issues, random freezing...mine would freeze every 5 minutes or so...lol, SliTaz took it right in stride and booted no problems on the same machine ;-) that's another reason I love this distro, the stable xvesa 3.0 boots on anything i swear.

Y'all got Paypal? I wouldn't mind contributing to this project at all if I could. Thinking of doing some SliTaz-themed artwork too, if I do i'll share for sure.

~D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social