This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

New users can't login
  • KronenbierKronenbier November 2009
    Hi. Is there something I should do in order to create a user besides "adduser username"?
    I created one like that and I can't login with it. I get the message: "Failed to execute login command".

The password is correct because if I enter it wrongly, the message doesn't appear. Also, "su username" allows me to access the user.

I can only login as root currently.

Thanks
  • ErjoErjo November 2009
    Hi,

adduser doesn't copy all files and directories from /etc/skel for new users

Use "Menu/System/Control box" rather.

+Erjo.
    Hey,
    I did as you told me, it didn't work. Same error message.

It's Slitaz cooking here.

Thanks
  • slicelslicel November 2009
    View hidden files to compare root/tux/skel/newuser and make sure newuser has files like .Xauthority.
    Like this?

'otto' was created with adduser and 'new' with GUI. They both can't login.

root@slitaz:~# ls -a

. .Xdefaults .config .local .xsession
    .. .ash_history .dbus .thumbnails Desktop
    .Xauthority .cache .gtkrc-2.0 .xinitrc

root@slitaz:~# ls -a /home/otto/

. .. .Xauthority

root@slitaz:~# ls -a /home/new/

. .config .lostirc Documents
    .. .gtk-bookmarks .mhwaveedit Images
    .Xauthority .gtkrc-2.0 .profile Music
    .Xdefaults .isomaster .xinitrc Templates
    .ash_history .local Desktop

root@slitaz:~#

Ps: it seems newline chars aren't working properly here. If it isn't clear, I pasted the output here: http://pastebin.ca/1679507
    Otto is missing skel files but I do not know why new is not working.

Click properties of /home /new and make sure that /new permissions are set for user/group new.

Ok, I deleted all users along with their home dirs (they were in a different box).
    I created one named pluto using System Tools.
    root@slitaz:~# ls -a /home/pluto/
    . .config .lostirc Documents
    .. .gtk-bookmarks .mhwaveedit Images
    .Xauthority .gtkrc-2.0 .profile Music
    .Xdefaults .isomaster .xinitrc Templates
    .ash_history .local Desktop
    root@slitaz:~#

root@slitaz:~# ls -l /home/
    drwxr-xr-x 11 pluto pluto 4096 Nov 21 17:06 pluto
    root@slitaz:~# ls -la /home/pluto/
    drwxr-xr-x 11 pluto pluto 4096 Nov 21 17:06 .
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Nov 21 17:06 ..
    -rw------- 1 pluto pluto 51 Nov 21 17:06 .Xauthority
    -rw-r--r-- 1 pluto pluto 357 Nov 10 19:15 .Xdefaults
    -rw-r--r-- 1 pluto pluto 295 Nov 10 19:15 .ash_history
    drwxr-xr-x 4 pluto pluto 4096 Nov 10 19:15 .config
    -rw-r--r-- 1 pluto pluto 38 Nov 10 19:15 .gtk-bookmarks
    -rw-r--r-- 1 pluto pluto 323 Nov 10 19:15 .gtkrc-2.0
    -rw-r--r-- 1 pluto pluto 553 Nov 10 19:15 .isomaster
    drwxr-xr-x 4 pluto pluto 4096 Nov 10 19:15 .local
    drwxr-xr-x 2 pluto pluto 4096 Nov 10 19:15 .lostirc
    drwxr-xr-x 2 pluto pluto 4096 Nov 10 19:15 .mhwaveedit
    -rw-r--r-- 1 pluto pluto 737 Nov 10 19:15 .profile
    -rw-r--r-- 1 pluto pluto 611 Nov 21 17:06 .xinitrc
    drwxr-xr-x 2 pluto pluto 4096 Nov 10 19:15 Desktop
    drwxr-xr-x 2 pluto pluto 4096 Nov 10 19:15 Documents
    drwxr-xr-x 3 pluto pluto 4096 Nov 10 19:15 Images
    drwxr-xr-x 2 pluto pluto 4096 Nov 10 19:15 Music
    drwxr-xr-x 2 pluto pluto 4096 Nov 10 19:15 Templates

But still can't login.
    I do not see anything wrong there but I am new to linux.

The only thing I can think of is something wrong with slim or x (or xorg if you use it), like http://www.linux-solved.com/post/Solved-Slim-Failed-to-Execute-Login-command-38446.html .

• LuXLuX November 2009
    Hello Kronenbier,

it seems that your .xinitrc is bigger than the default one on my Slitaz:

# ls -l /etc/skel/.xinitrc
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 399 Jun 1 22:02 /etc/skel/.xinitrc

Perhaps this is normal with Cooking, I don't know, but you may read it in case it tries to run a command which gets you in troubles.

Does /home/pluto/.xinitrc differ from /root/.xinitrc? If so you might replace the former by the later (and use chown to give to pluto the appropriate rights on it). Otherwise you may compare pluto's .xinitrc with the following one (which is the default on my Slitaz):

WM=openbox

case $1 in
    e17|enlightenment_start)
    exec enlightenment_start ;;
    openbox|openbox-session|ob)
    exec openbox-session ;;
    dwm|dwm-session)
    exec dwm-session ;;
    jwm)
    lxpanel &
    exec jwm ;;
    *)
    exec $WM ;;
    esac

Finally, have you tried to login as pluto with a different window manager (using <F1> at slim's connection screen)?

Regards,
    LuX
    Alright, I think the problem is solved!

I checked /var/log/slim.log and there was this error:

/home/pluto/.xinitrc: .: line 5: can't open /home/pluto/.config/slitaz/applications.conf

I didn't have that slitaz directory. I created and copied the file from root's home.
    Then I was able to login as pluto.

I believe this is a bug? Do I need to report it?

(btw, .xinitrc is bigger just because it has a lot of comments now)

Thank you guys.
    I do not have that directory/file but my xinitrc is not looking for it so I do not get an error.

It could be a bug in your version but it depends on why there was a mismatch.
  • jozeejozee November 2009
    @kroenenbier: applications.conf file is only needed to set your "favorite applications", i.e., "desktopbox tazapps". It should be automatically created in .config if its not there. This should not be anyway related to login. If you face this problem, please file this as bug at http://labs.slitaz.org/issues. We will look into it.
    jozee, that file has a line WINDOW_MANAGER=openbox-session

Perhaps that is needed for the login? Well, I'll file the bug later anyway. Thanks.
  • KdEKdE November 2009
    I ran into the exact same Problem with the Liveusb, for some reason /home/tux is not automatic generated. And this file: /home/user/.config/slitaz/applications.conf is after creation also not created because the folder slitaz does not exist.

• tornado64tornado64 March 2010
    Hi, same problem here.
    I've addet a new user, but I can't login with it.
    It's automatically created a new folder with this username, but nothing in it.
    In /root i have only the folder 'Desktop' an this folder is as well empty.

When I run Slitaz in persistent mode (from new rootfs.gz), I can only login with root. Now with tux the same problem: "Failed to execute login command"
  • GokhlayehGokhlayeh March 2010
    The default login command in Slim is
    exec /bin/sh -l ~/.xinitrc %session
    In our case %session is : nothing by default
    openbox if you type F1 one time.

The default .xinitrc is :
    # ~/.xinitrc: Executed by slim login manager to startx X session.
    # You can use F1 with Slim to chage your window manager or configure
    # it permanently with your personnal applications.conf file.
    #
    . $HOME/.config/slitaz/applications.conf

case $1 in
    e17|enlightenment*)
    exec enlightenment_start ;;
    openbox|openbox-session|ob)
    exec openbox-session ;;
    dwm|dwm-session)
    exec dwm-session ;;
    fluxbox|startfluxbox)
    exec startfluxbox ;;
    awesome)
    exec awesome ;;
    pekwm)
    exec pekwm ;;
    karmen|karmen-session)
    exec karmen-session ;;
    jwm)
    lxpanel &
    exec jwm ;;
    xfce|xfce4|xfce4-session)
    xfce4-session ;;
    *)
    exec $WINDOW_MANAGER ;;
    esac

Slitaz use the variable WINDOWS_MANAGER only if the %session is not specified in Slim, or if it isn't one of thoses specified in .xinitrc. With openbox as session, you don't need the ~/.conf/slitaz/applications.conf file. You can check it easily : put anything wrong in WINDOWS_MANAGER and re-log session, type F1 one time to select openbox (with tux) : there's no problem. relog, don't type F1 : can't login.

All is normal until there : the specified WINDOWS_MANAGER is used if you don't specify WM in Slim. The next test give strange results (don't do that if you can't rename a file with you're term) :
    Rename applications.conf (ex applications.conf-renamed)
    Then try to login : login fail, even if you use %session=openbox.
    Rename you're applications.conf correctly and you can come back in openbox.

I don't understand this. Add applications.conf fix this bug, but how explain it ?
    My next question is : how applications.conf is created ?

/home/tux/.xinitrc is created by tazx with a template include in tazx
    /home/tux/.config/slitaz/applications.conf is created by tazx by copying the default : /etc/slitaz/applications.conf
    /root/.xinitrc is created by : I don't know, if someone have the answer...

tazx is executed one time at boot in live session, or by user (by exemple to change the default WM).

Adduser create the newuser .xinitrc by copying the /root/.xinitrc, so we can deduce that this files is supposed to be the default one. But it don't copy the default applications.conf, wich is not created because tazx is not executed at this point (wich is normal).

Even if I don't understand the bug explain in my previous post, I'm sure that all users need an application.conf to define default apps and WM. The fix is simple : copy the default applications.conf when a new user is created.

I report bug and send a patch.
    A third post :

Finally I understand the bug with slim :
    .xinitrc call variables from applications.conf, if the file is not here the script stop and don't do his work.
  • kultexkultex April 2010
    I think, it is not only the applications.conf - because I think I get the same error using Tazusb Liveusb Tool - when I start SliTaz from the stick, I get the "Failed to execute login command."
    I think it is also a hal problem, because I can log in as root and xorg.0.log.old tells
    (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed
    AUDIT: Mon Apr 5 10:49:44 2010: 1648 Xorg: client 3 rejected from local host ( uid=1000 gid=1000 pid=1660 )
    AUDIT: Mon Apr 5 10:49:44 2010: 1648 Xorg: client 3 rejected from local host ( uid=1000 gid=1000 pid=1666 )
    AUDIT: Mon Apr 5 10:49:44 2010: 1648 Xorg: client 3 rejected from local host ( uid=1000 gid=1000 pid=1662 )
    AUDIT: Mon Apr 5 10:49:44 2010: 1648 Xorg: client 3 rejected from local host ( uid=1000 gid=1000 pid=1655 )
    AUDIT: Mon Apr 5 10:49:44 2010: 1648 Xorg: client 3 rejected from local host ( uid=1000 gid=1000 pid=1669 )
    (II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
    (II) UnloadModule: "kbd"
  • kultexkultex April 2010
    sorry - no hal problem - the config/hal message belongs to the evdev error before.

In this german thread http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/796/useraccount-anlegen-funktioniert-nicht/#Item_21 it seems to be the same error with the new user account

I found in /var/log/slim.log the following error

/usr/bin/xauth: error in locking authority file /home/tux/.Xauthority
  • Ok, I had this exact same problem...and it turns out that it is fat32.

If you have this problem, try formatting your usb stick into ext2 and put it back on. Turns out fat32 has problems with the permissions and stuff, and its now working for me :-D hope this helps people
  • gdesilvagdesilva January 2011
    I had the same problem - only root user could login. I copied .config directory and subdirectories to other user's account changed the file ownership and group to user and then I was able to login using other accounts. Hope this sheds some light into the issue....

EDIT: Also make sure you check the file permissions in the copied directories...for some unknown reason chown -R did not change the permissions in all files and I had to change one or two of them individually...
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za January 2011
    You'd think with all the posts about you, the search function would bring up a newer version hey?

Yes, SliTaz's /etc/skel folder is somewhat incomplete which is why when a new user is created it doesn't create ALL the files needed for the user to work. The easiest way is to copy your main user's .config and .local directory and most of the hidden .X files. This normally fixes the issue for everybody.

You could also copy everything to your /etc/skel folder aswell, so future user creation doesn't suffer this problem.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social