This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Update?
  • GinetteGinette August 2010
    I tested Slitaz on a eeepc 7" and I'm rather happy by the result.
    I would like to install it on the hard disk, but only if it can be
    updated simply and cleanly.

I've been away from linux for some years now and my previous
    experiences with Mandrake, Suse, Red Hat and others have been
    painful: I had to reinstall the systems quite often because they
    got rapidly broken after few (minor) updates.

What about Slitaz? When version 4.0 (say) appears, will I be able to
    write something like "UpdateMyBeast" and everything will be
    smooth, without having to reconfigure everything?

• mojomojo August 2010
    When pigs fly,maybe.
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za August 2010
    It's a fact that updates release wise is never simple - even with Windows. You wouldn't expect to update Vista to Windows 7. No, you would just back up your stuff and do a clean install.

With Linux however, updating normally isn't that hard, you just save your user folder(s) (remembering the hidden folders!) and copy the content back after the upgrade. With SliTaz the install takes about 15 minutes (compared to 1 hour 30 minutes of Windows 7...) and configurations 'should' be transferable with your user folder. It will still require you to install the packages that you want and maybe some minor tweaking of the configuration to make things work like you'd expect.
  • I did an update from cooking to stable without having any problems - so it is possible. But backing up your files first is always necessary.
    If you prefer a clean install you can backup a list of installed packages and reinstall them after upgrade. I'm not if this is the exact command, but it has to be something like that:
    tazpkg list > installed_files.txt ### to get a list of all files in a textfile
    tazpkg get-install-list installed_files.txt --forced ### to have tazpkg install the listed files
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za August 2010
    Good trick to know @Killerkaninchen - thanks :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social