This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

2 problems
  • ChristopheChristophe August 2010
    can anyone help me with this :

1/ shiretoko (firefox): since yesterday, the default google search window (upper left corner) will NOT search anymore on "return key" request (it works fine if i type in the address bar, like i do with midori). I do not think i have installed anything new like a new addon - but i have had system problems and had to restore slitaz (ie, / partition). /home is on a different partition though

2/ after boot the connection box in the systray looks like disconnected (red cross on it). When I open the connection properties, the connection name is "unknown" and i can switch it to wlan. How can i make it stay on wlan by default ? (or any other network, but make it stay on the default network i use)
    Also i have 2 ethernet adapter that are NOT shown in the list of connections - they are not used and not connected, but I think they use to show in the list of connections.

This is just an annoyance seemingly, but I am slightly concerned of a potential network problem (i am concerned this being the tip of the iceberg): my box ended up not being able to recongnise any network card, and i had to reinstall from my backup.
  • Maybe you can configure network using the /etc/network.conf?
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za August 2010
    Christophe: Not sure if this is related, but when I used to back up my /home folder on to a CD, it used to copy them as read only. This broke many programs especially with the copied .config folder, meaning no changes ever stuck.

The copied over config files and hidden folders could also alternatively be causing your programs to break, for example with .mozilla in the case of firefox. Normally it's wise to avoid copying the folders of stuff you want to create a fresh copy of like all the files found in .config and most of the hidden files in your home folder. There are some exceptions though, like copying your thunderbird folder to preserve e-mails and other data or saving your gftp setting by coping the .gftp folder, but generally you can go without if your intention is a clean install and you don't want the old configurations can causing extra trouble with it.
  • ms3811ms3811 September 2010
    Did you ever resolve the connection properties issue? I seem to be having it with all slitaz installations so far. In essence, the network status monitor never updates to the currently active connection(s). It always loads up as Unknown, requiring manual intervention to set it to the active connection. Once set, it seems to maintain the setting only for that session. A reboot or logout/login causes it to forget the active connection.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social