This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

How can I connect to the Internet using a wifi modem?
  • renyoldrenyold August 2010
    Hi,
    I have the following Confg:

Laptop: Compaq, with Broadcom Wireless LAN Inbuilt,

Modem: the basic BSNL "Smart AX MT882" modem with one LAN and one USB port.

Connection: BSNL broadband

I have been using the BSNL modem with my laptop thru the LAN port for pat many months now.
    Though I have had no problems with this, my new house arrangement makes it difficult to continue with the wired option.

What should I do?

I want to connect to BSNL Broadband wirelessly like many people I have met.

Can the WLAN be used to connect to a wireless/Wi-Fi router/modem?

What all hardware I need to buy? Do I need to buy stuff like a PCIMCA WiFi card and a Wifi router?

would wi-fi access DECREASE SPEED of connection from the current wired connection?

Do I have to be in line of sight to use a wi-fi connection?

how much would this whole new setup cost me approx?

Thanks in Advance

Resveratrol
  • mojomojo August 2010
    Get a wifi router accesspoint, plug the WAN side(single RJ45) of new wifi router into same LAN port on BSNL modem where laptop was connected. Plug Laptop ethernet to wifi router LAN side (four RJ45) to verify internet works,to configure wifi router through web browser,and install linux-wireless.tazpkg and broadcom firmware.Disconnect laptop ethernet from wifi router. Finish broadcom wireless in laptop setup and connect to wifi router.

Speed and reliability not as good as wired. I have G can't speak to N protocol. For simply using a web browser or streaming music speed it's ok. In the US routers cost anywhere from $20 up.The cheaper the router the weaker the signal,decreasing range and speed.You don't have to be line of sight for connection,many things can weaken or kill signal.When my microwave oven is on high it knocks out my wifi signal. If you spend around $50 up USD you'll get a decent consumer grade router that will last a few years. Eventually they start failing or burnout.
  • deadwaitdeadwait August 2010
    a
  • deadwaitdeadwait August 2010
    sorry didnt read the earlier post properly

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social