This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Backup Slitaz
  • Hi,
    Is there a way to backup slitaz and all settings?
    Slitaz is installed on my HDD,and the settings are almost perfect booting, modules,programs etc. Im about play with some settings and i have had situations where i was unable to figure out how to get back to the original settings for hrs.
    Maybe a program like apples time machine(backup utility).
    Thanks
  • domcoxdomcox July 2010
    Hi

# tazlito writeisoUse running system to generate a bootable ISO (with /home).

or:
    # tazlitobox(writeiso tab)
    Writeiso will generate an ISO image of the current filesystem as
    is, including the /home directory. It is an easy way to remaster a
    SliTaz Live system, you just have to: boot, modify, writeiso.

• it says

" Unable to mount the cdrom to copy the kernel and needed files. when Slitaz is running in ram the kernel and bootlaoder files are kept on the cdrom. Please insert a LiveCD or unmount the current cdrom to let Tazlito Handle the media
    enter to continue..."

when i press enter it closes the box and nothing. i dont have a cd-drive. its a mini laptop. Is it not suppose to just generate an iso image and ask me where to save it? Thanks
  • ChristopheChristophe July 2010
    @domcox

I have done that myself, and ended up wondering how to really restore my system, ie, i have a bootable dvd, but do not understand how to restore it to disk: should i just reinstall from this livecd for it to reinstall my system as it is on the CD ??
    Tx

• domcoxdomcox July 2010
    @slitazFanAgent
    You need to use a virtual cdrom:
    #1 download slitaz iso and put it in /boot or elsewhere
    #2 mount the iso img as a cdrom (root user)
    # mount -o loop -t iso9660 /boot/slitaz-3.0.iso /media/cdrom
    #3 you're now ready to use tazlito, tazusb..

@Christophe
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm afraid you'll have to boot your livecd and copy files manually.
  • ChristopheChristophe July 2010
    @domcox

Can i just boot as root from livecd then "cp -R / (on disk /dev/hdaX)" drive partition, with the hope this will gracefully reboot after all files including links will have been restored as expected ?
    (have not done these things in years....)
    If this is that easy then not a big deal....
    tx
  • thanks domcox. but i was looking for something like Grsync or Pcbackup. rather than making ISO every time i want to backup.

Now just to figure out why grsync is not working.

hopefully, slitaz will have a simple script for restore previous settings and files or only previous settings like windows especially when you mess up you system after installing something.

• kultexkultex August 2010
    you have different possibilities:

1) Partimage

2) dd - eg.

dd if=/dev/hdx | gzip > /path/to/image.gz
    gzip -dc /path/to/image.gz | dd of=/dev/hdx

or 3) rsync - eg:

rsync -avze ssh /home/tux user@XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:/backups

• jozeejozee August 2010
    @slitazFanAgent : Slitaz normally comes with grsync. You can also install it using Slitaz package manager.
  • @jozee : yes, i downloaded it from the package manager, but was unable to get it to perform what i wanted.
    Also ran into some permission problems too!! dont know how to fix all these so i gave up.

what i wanted was to copy all the files in the "/" directory apart from a few folders like /lost+found also /dev and a few folders that are auto-generated.
    Because suggestions of copying only /home will not be enough. i know i have changed things in /sys/devices/ and /etc and /usr i think like adjusting mouse config. adding modules..please dont quote me on this. But i am definately sure i have changed things in places other than /home.

And i tried inserting the exclude-from command in the "extra options tab" under "execute this command before rsync" or so. maybe it doesnot work there.

thanks

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social