This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Newbie Windows emigre looking for slim, office use Linux
  • Saijee_raoSaijee_rao June 2010
    I'm new to Linux and am considering Slitaz or Lubuntu, but decided to try Slitaz based on its ability to run with minimum resources (as opposed to Windows XP and its app base). My laptop is an old Fujitsu upgraded to its limit: P3 500Mhz with 256 MB RAM, a 20GB HDD, DVD R/W drive.
    I have no programming background, and been using 1.MS Office - Word, Excel, PPt; 2. Windows Media Player for playing videos and audio as well as for ripping audio CDs; 3. Audiograbber for converting old tapes to mp3; 4.Yahoo and gmail for email; 5.Internet with Mozilla Firefox; 6. Skype for video phone calls, 7. Adobe Acrobat Reader for pdf files.
    Can someone on this forum list out for me which applications I will need from Slitaz repository, in addition to base Slitaz 3.0, that will give me similar, if not identical functionality as above.
    Please note - I am migrating from Windows and thus have a legacy of files I would still like to view/edit while in the Slitaz environment.
    Thanks in advance.
  • Saijee_raoSaijee_rao June 2010
    I also forgot to mention: I use a US Robotics 5410 wireless PCMCIA card to connect to a Netgear wireless router for my internet connection. I have a driver CD, but I think it is only suitable for Windows! Perhaps I need a driver suited to Linux kernel?
  • moulefritemoulefrite June 2010

Hi,

Welcome to Slitaz ! If you search the best Functionality/Size Linux, you are on the
    right way. Slitaz was enterily created from 0 and everthing is open.

You can search packages (software) here

http://pkgs.slitaz.org/cooking/

But I can answer that for MS Office, you have here

Either, (Abiword+Gnumeric) or OpenOffice or Softmaker Office or
    Wine running MS Office

For MSN, you have for exemple Pidgin (multi-protocol) ,
    you can find also Skype .

You have lots of Players to watch,listen medias

For your Wireless, either the kernel is already in Slitaz, then you can use it directly,
    either you can use ndiswrapper to use the Windows driver.

If you are really a newbie, perheaps , may you ask some help to a friend who knows Linux
  • tikbalangtikbalang June 2010

1.MS Office - Word, Excel, PPt;

openoffice.org

2. Windows Media Player for playing videos and audio as well as for ripping audio CDs;

vlcplayer or smplayer

3. Audiograbber for converting old tapes to mp3;

audacity

4.Yahoo and gmail for email;

same. gmail accounts can be used with mail clients.

5.Internet with Mozilla Firefox;

opera or firefox

6. Skype for video phone calls,

a skype package is available.

7. Adobe Acrobat Reader for pdf files.

slitaz comes with a simple pdf reader.

we have the same goal (and hardware). you install software using the package manager icon right next to the clock on the lower right of the taskbar. be sure to recharge the packages list before you install.

• seawolfseawolf June 2010
    I'd recommend looking at:
    http://doc.slitaz.org/en:handbook:start#desktop-applications
    as a starting point. As said before, you can search the repositories through both the web interface and Package Manager to discover more, but this should get you familiar quickly.

HIH.
  • sanekssaneks June 2010
    I think your computer is too slow for open office latest version. try abiword first, don't forget to install your language for spell checking, and as said above gnumeric might serve you instead of excel. everything else is said above. I installed slitaz on similar specs and it is cool. even with vlc instead of alsaplayer plus mplayer for audio/video

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social