This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Netbook remix
  • TimmiTimmi April 2010
    Is anyone working on a "Slitaz for netbooks remix" by any chance?
    Where WiFi and screen brightness just work (Fn or hotkeys), and maybe later some fancy stuff like sleep resume etc (not htat everyone will use it, to maximize battery autonomy/runtime).
    Or is there one already available?
  • sanekssaneks April 2010
    on my eee701 screen brightness and wifi work perfectly out of the box.

I added some keybinds for fast programstart to /home/USER/.config/openbox/rc.xml. I don't need netbook remix environment like in unbuntu NBR or the like..
  • TimmiTimmi May 2010
    sorry man, I'm pretty much a noob. That's good news, because it's an indicationLinux is going mainstream - the bad news is we don't understand the command line stuff jargon you guys use. We just want it to work. (and it didn't work with a more modern 900SD)

This distro has the chance of becoming the BEST distro for netbooks there is out there.

Lets see what there is:
    EasyPeasy (ubuntu nbr), jolicloud, leeenux, puppeee, peppermint, antix.
    all except antix are huge, and I wonder why bother - some of us have SSDs and a single core and dont want a bloated OS. (whatever happenned to Linux being smaller faster and better than Windoze anyways? an install is 3GB, huge)
    that leaves us with antix, and it is double the size of slitaz.
    So far, the interface of Slitaz compares with the best of them.

This certainly would be something to set it aside from the pack, and really distinguish itself. There are other small OSes for old hardware, but none of them support modern power management and wifi elegantly. Is this THAT much of a challenge to implement? (I mean, at least good and broad wifi support to start with). And if you don't know how or are unable to implement it, is it because it's not the same base?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social