This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

How to keep installed software?
  • sanekssaneks March 2010
    thanks alot for creating a new Slitaz! I really liked the distro from the start and it now feels a lot better than 2.0.

But how do I keep installed software?

I try home=usb while booting, so I keep some settings:

- background
    - new menu entries
    - root-passwords are kept (not in wifi manager)
    - I created config files for wbar/conky/... in /home

but mplayer, conky, wbar, gimp, abiword etc.. are not kept!

I am not sure if home=usb uses the ssd drive of my eee rather than the actual thumbdrive: I found my crunchbang installation filled up with a 260MB big slitaz folder when playing with "tazusb writefs"

My theory: /home is kept on usb, but not the root-filesystem with the new programs.

So how can I make the root filesystem save changes back to my live-usb? It is formatted FAT,cause Unetbootin does not work here on my Linux. I want to make changes and save back to the stick. That's all, but I find it a tricky task. Or do I have to make a "real" install to the USB key or my harddisk/ssd to have installs that stay?

Thanks for help!
  • snowpinesnowpine March 2010
    Unetbootin is not part of SliTaz. Use TazUSB instead if you want the full SliTaz experience. :)
  • pauljurczakpauljurczak March 2010
    I just started playing with SliTaz and here is my prescription for persistent modifications of liveUSB:
    1. Boot from liveCD.
    2. Create liveUSB with “tazusb format” (ext3) and “tazusb gen-liveusb”. Don’t use UNetbootin.
    3. Boot from liveUSB.
    4. Make modifications.
    5. Run “tazusb writefs lzma” and soft reboot.
    6. Go to 4.
    just tried exactly this, but formated with gparted and did "writefs none". booting takes longer now and I can notlogin other than root. ("no autologin") - and as root I see no desktop files anymore and no wallpaper works.. but software and wifi settings are intact this time.

will keep on working on it. thanks for your suggestions.
  • snowpinesnowpine March 2010
    "just tried exactly this"

Not if you used gparted. :) Follow Paul's instructions exactly, or the detailed TazUSB documentation linked to in post #2.
    thanks snowpine and all the others. I repeated all of Paul's steps, but first it came out like I described in my last post above (only root user). But after *really powering off* the eee and *not booting with localization* it seems to work like it should. wifi autoconnects, conky is still installed.. also after reboot. and I am being asked if I want to change changes before Shutdown, so I don't have to sit waiting for it, great.

I think I thought to much.. like copying the rootfs.gz into the folder where it was before before hutting down, then entering my local upon boot is unecessary, and I guess it caused some different type of image being booted (???)

still a slitaz starter, but now I think I am over the worst hurds, yeah :D

Thanks to all!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social