This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Setting Time Question
  • RuppRupp March 2010
    Hey guys I have a problem with keeping the time set in Slitaz. I can set the time with hwclock and no matter what I do it resets itself when I reboot. It is not the BIOS battery, the actual hardware clock is correct, timezone is correct, and local or utc doesn't make a difference whatsoever. It is still 4 hours off. I used every "hwclock" and "date" setting and nothing works. I even tried adding the hwclock to a boot script that doesn't work either. I have to set it after logging in. I do that through openbox's autostart.sh .

I also noticed that even after I set the time correct on boot that it is still 4-5hrs off in gmail. I had similar problems with gmail in Puppy Linux because I didn't set the timezone before checking my email after a fresh install. Clearing the cache and cookies and logging back in fixed that. I can do the same in Slitaz but it is still 4-5hrs off. Then because I change my time I get this message when I boot: "filesystem last write in the future". Sorry if the wording is off but I am going by memory. Then it checks for errors. Not everytime though. That is my only problem with slitaz and I feel it is going to lead to corrupting the install. I just thought I would ask because I am at a loss.

Thank you for reading this,

Rupp

P.S. I've used ntp once connected to the net but that is pointless if it resets itself after a reboot or power down.
  • RuppRupp March 2010
    Bump

No one has any clue why? This minor problem is getting huge
  • RuppRupp March 2010
    *bump
  • RuppRupp March 2010
    *bump
  • Hi Rupp,
    I have no solution, but I would like to let you know that:
    - with slitaz 3 on a laptop Lenovo T61p, I have the save problem you described.
    - with slitaz last cooking on a desktop PIII-500MHz, the time is correctly handled.

I have no idea on what is going wrong. If you want me to make some tests, just let me know what to check.

Stephane
  • double post
  • xorxxorx March 2010
    Hi Rupp,

I had a problem the other day when the Europe changed to summer time and nothing happened in my Slitaz (last cooking, not yet 3.0).
    To solve my problem I executed, as root, the following steps:

rdate -s tick.greyware.com
    hwclock -w --utc
    echo "Europe/Paris" > /etc/TZ

or whatever your time zone is.

Then reboot.

Well, I don't know if this will help you. I hope so!
  • maxxmaxx March 2010
    I have the same problem too. Can't set my clock to GMT+7, try using xorx tips no luck with my eeepc 701.
  • I also had time setting problems, but using xorx tips I got them solved...
  • RuppRupp April 2010
    I still can't fix this problem. It is getting on my last nerve. The second I shutdown it changes the time. It isn't on reboot. I can't find anything in the rc.shutdown script that seems to be doing it.
    As an example I will issue the uptime command because rc.shutdown uses it to display the time during shutdown/reboot.
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# uptime
    18:08:24 up 10 min, load average: 0.06, 0.14, 0.10

Now if a second later I click shutdown/reboot it would be:
     22:08:24 up 10 min
    It doesn't matter what timezone, utc, or local. It changes the second shutdown or reboot is issued.

Rupp

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social