This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

SliTaz 3 and nvidia set-up
  • davesurreydavesurrey March 2010
    Congratulations and thanks to all the devs for Slitaz 3. First impressions are very favourable.

However I need to change the resolution of my screen as it's too small.

I have an nVidia GeForce FX5200 graphics card which usually uses the 173.x.x driver.
    I notice that if I use #tazx I get the choice of vesa or nv.
    Selecting nv and running #X -config /root/xorg.conf.new gives
    Fatal server error.
    So does selecting vesa.

When I tried Menu>SystemTools>Hardware Detection and drivers. I selected nvidia and saw that it installed the 190.42_X driver
    which I don't believe will work with my legacy card. This does add NVidia X Server Settings in the Prefernces menu
    but this says "You dont appear to be using nvidia x driver." It suggests runningnvidia-xconfig as root. But still can't see how to change
    resolution. Then after I reboot it only goes to a cmd prompt and won't start an X window.

I want 1024X768X24 but adding vga=791 to my grub stanza doesn't do anything.

Help/suggestions please.

Dave
  • jozeejozee March 2010
    @davesurrey: how about trying the free nv version. Try unchecking the non-free box. This will download free nv driver instead of non-free nvidia (which does not work on your computer).

Second, to get 1024x768 (even without nvidia), you can follow this thread on the mailing list:
    http://listengine.tuxfamily.org/lists.tuxfamily.org/slitaz/2010/03/msg00008.html
  • davesurreydavesurrey March 2010
    Thank you for your fast reply jozee.
    I can get this to work (use nv and add a `Modes "1024x768" ` line to /etc/X11/xorg.conf) although it gives error messages about missing GLX and can't find RGB GLX or fbconfig.

Now I have set the main resolution some of the text still seems very small. eg text below the desktop icons and in the Menu and poorer quality.
    I believe they are a function of PCManager?
    How can I increase their size?

Everything else I have tried so far seems very good and I don't want to spoil the good looks of SliTaz. For all these reasons and more it would be nice to have nvidia's 173 driver available, just as the 190 driver is, to give better performance of the board. It may not be the latest HW but I guess many users of Slitaz use older legacy graphics and other hardware.

Best wishes
    Dave

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social