This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Trying to install SliTaz on old compaq laptop, need help!
  • BremaineBremaine October 2009
    I believe you need the loram version, since your computer has only 64MB...
    http://download.tuxfamily.org/slitaz/iso/2.0/flavors/

You may get the loram-cdrom version so you can get all the way down to 10MB :D
    I recently downloaded the ISO image for SliTaz Linux, and I'd like to install it on my old Compaq Laptop. I think it has 64MB of RAM, 8GB HD, maybe less, and idk anything else about it. I don't have a way of figuring it out since I deleted windows and there is no OS on it at the moment.

The problem I'm having at the moment is this. I click enter to boot SliTaz and it gets down to the part "Unpacking initramfs" and it stops. I left the room for a while and when I came back, the screen was black. Am I doing something wrong? My laptop is a Compaq Presario 1200.

If this helps any, here's the wikipedia page.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compaq_Presario_1200 I know my laptop has a DVD Drive. Oh, and it says they have JBL speakers, so it must be the 1200-XL125 version. If that helps.
  • lmartlmart October 2009
    Had a similar Compaq, model # is on the bottom, you'll want to know the exact amount of memory
    check out post: http://forum.slitaz.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=41&page=1#Item_21
    tikbalang really helped me
    Thanks guys, I'll check that one out.

btw, Spork, which file do I download?:

slitaz-loram.iso
    slitaz-loram-cdrom.iso
    slitaz-loram-cdrom-sqfs.iso
  • sporkspork October 2009
    I believe it is the slitaz-loram.iso if it is 64MB or higher, slitaz-loram-cdrom.iso if you want to go as low as 10MB.
    Tried slitaz-loram.iso and it didn't work. Going to try the other one soon.
    Tried the slitaz-loram-cdrom.iso, but it doesn't seem to work.
  • tikbalangtikbalang October 2009
    if you can put boot options, add this:

acpi=off
    power_off=1
  • seawolfseawolf October 2009
    On a similar vein, apic=off might help.

Out of interest, what does the power_off flag do?
  • tikbalangtikbalang October 2009
    power_off=

i found that in an old distro to turn off power on shutdown using apm. it may not be present in all linuxes but those two lines solve my startup/shutdown problems on my old pc.
    Okay, thanks :)
    OK, The furthest I've gotten, was with the slitaz-loram-cdrom.iso. Here's the problem;

So the problem has to be with the Fast Ethernet CardBus PC Card. I took it out, and it boots with ease. So thanks for all the help thus far. I'd also like to know if I can actually run this laptop on the internet? I was able to connect to the internet before deleting windows, but that was by using a USB cord.
    OK, so now all I need to do is install Slitaz to my laptop. But, it isn't working. I go to system tools, and then I click on the Slitaz Installer, but nothing happens, it justs asks me for a root password and that's it. I click ok, and nothing happens. So yeah, need step by step instructions on installing it.
    Does anything happen if you use a terminal, su root and run the slitaz-installer again? I've had lots of sudo problems, esp. with GUI apps.
    I'll try it and update you on it.
    I was able to run slitaz installer, only problem was that I had to type in "root" as password. It finally works, but when it asks where I'd like to install it or whatever, I type in /dev/hda. Anyways it stops at:

Executing mkfs.ext3 on /dev/hda It always stops at 60% and doesn't do anything else. Am I typing the wrong location? what I mean is, is /dev/hda the right location?

I tried the su root thing, and the same thing happens.
  • slicelslicel October 2009
    The installer lets you see a list of available partitions, which end in a number like hda1.

You can use Menu/System_tools/GParted to make partitions before running the installer.
    Alright, I'll try making partitions first.
  • slicelslicel October 2009
    You also can make a swap partition of 200mb or 2gb to compensate for little ram.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social