This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

/etc/X11/xorg.config is missing...
  • oversouloversoul February 2010
    Hi all, after playing around with SliTaz I managed to fix almost all my problems, with several minor exceptions... One of which is - I can't find the file /etc/X11/xorg.config which I need to edit, so I can type in Bulgarian phonetic and English. I've installed xorg and X11libs but still, there is no such file... Does anyone know why and where to find it? Also, my arrow keys stopped working. And my Xine video player doesn't show cyrilic subtitles... Please, help me with this...
  • kodekeskodekes February 2010
    i think that now the xorg.conf file is loaded on the fly (no need to exist) so that you only have to create it and add what you want (by google)
  • LuXLuX February 2010
    Hello Oversoul,

if you use the Slitaz-Xorg flavor, the config file /etc/X11/xorg.conf is created on the fly, but of course you can edit it. (I don't know how to save your change in a live session, since my Slitaz is on my HDD, and moreover it depends on which kind of live system you are using.)

On the other hand if you start from a "normal" Slitaz stable or Cooking, after you've installed Xorg with tazpkg I think that you must configure Xorg by running (as root):
    # X -configure

I think that this will create the config file in the courant directory, and let you move it to /etc/X11. Note that it may leave you with a grey screen and a cross mouse without any menu nor command line, so it can help to know that you can leave this mode (which is the test-mode of Xorg, I think) by typing Alt-Backspace (if I remember well, or perhaps Ctrl-Backspace, or something like that).

Regards,
    LuX.
    Thanks LuX, I'll try. Currently I have SliTaz on my 300MHz old computer and in SUN Virtual Box on my AMD 4000+ computer. Both installations are on my HDDs :) (I don't like running OS from live CD). I loved SliTaz so much, that I'm considering makeing it my primary OS (the only thing that concerns me is programs, since I'm musician and I work with sampling, digital music creating, composing and other stuff /there I go with the off-topic, hahaha/).
    Anyways, I'll try X -configure and I'll write what happened. And about flavors, I don't know where from / how to get them...
    OK, found it :) It made new one, named xorg.conf.new - I reamed it to xorg.conf and moved it to /etc/X11. So far so good, but whe I edit it, so I ca switch to Bulgarian nothing happeneds...
    I edit the original:
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    EndSection

to the following:
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us,bg"
    Option "XkbVariant" ",phonetic"
    Option "XkbOptions" "grp:ctrl_shift_toggle,grp:lwin_switch,grp_led:scroll"
    EndSection

Any idea why it isn't working? And how to fix it?
  • LuXLuX February 2010
    Hello Oversoul,

I did succesfully a similar modification to my xorg.conf file in Slitaz 2.0, in order to switch between qwerty and azerty (that is french) keyboards. Here is the corresponding section of my xorg.conf file:
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "fr,us"
    Option "XkbVariant" "oss"
    Option "XKbOptions" "grp:menu_toggle"
    EndSection

I don't think that the "XkbModel" option is essential. The "XkbRules" might be, however. Did you check that the rules you indicated exist in your system?

I have been looking at /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base for you, and noticed that conrary to "fr" which appears in several lines, "bg" only appears in one commented line:
    // If you want non-latin layouts implicitly include the en_US layout
    // uncomment lines below
    //! $nonlatin = am ara ben bd bg bt by cs deva ge gh gr guj guru il \
    // in ir iku jp kan kh kr la lao lk mk mm mn mv mal ori pk \
    // ru scc sy syr tel th tj tam ua uz

So I suggest you to uncomment the three last lines above in your "base" rules file and see what happens.

Hope this helps,
    LuX.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social