This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

[solved] "could not allocate physical memory" error: wine, qemu, virtualbox
  • monzmonz February 2010
    Having done a complete system upgrade a few days ago, now none of my wine programs nor my large virtual machines will work, giving me error messages about not being able to allocate memory. I had no problems with these before the upgrade.
    The host machine has 2 GB of RAM.

Wine gives this error and will not run at all:

preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00110000-68000000
    wine: failed to initialize: /usr/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so: failed to map segment from shared object: Cannot allocate memory

Trying to run my Windows XP virtual machine in VirtualBox, it starts with the black XP boot-up screen, but then when i try to login, i get an error dialog-box with this message:

Unable to allocate and lock memory. The virtual machine will be paused. Please close applications to free up memory or close the VM.

with ErrorID: HostMemoryLow

But i never had a problem with this machine before, with exactly the same configuration.

Results in qemu are similar. I tried running my Windows XP qemu machine with varying amounts of memory, having varying degrees of success. It booted fine with RAM amounts up to 320 MB (but was extremely slow), but when i tried 336 MB, it seemed to boot to the desktop ok, but as soon as i tried to open Task Manager the whole machine aborted and i got a segmentation fault error. If i Results in qemu are similar. I tried running my Windows XP qemu machine with varying amounts of memory, having varying degrees of success. It booted fine with RAM amounts up to 320 MB (but was extremely slow), but when i tried 336 MB, it seemed to boot to the desktop ok, but as soon as i tried to open Task Manager the whole machine aborted and i got a segmentation fault error. If i try to run a machine with a larger amount of RAM, i get this:

"could not allocate physical memory".

• minilinminilin February 2010
    Hello monz,

At the moment I can only advise the VMs back up and install wine and virtualbox or qemu again. One possibility would be an incompatibility with newer lib or other Compiler version.

Gruß Jupp
  • ouioui February 2010
    hallo beide

mit ist egal was ihr macht, aber das hätte ich mir nie erträumen lassen:

es gibt ein Forum in Deutsch
    aber auch ein Forum in Englisch

und man postet im deutschen Forum in Englisch,
    wo die englischsprachigen Teilnehmer nie lesen...

dafür können die "nur Deutschsprachigen" nicht folgen...

und das soll bessere Ergebnisse liefern als wenn man direkt im englischsprachigen Forum gepostet hätte?

hm, wirklich?

dann, viel Glück...

salut
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social