This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

New tazpkg format for cooking
  • bellardbellard February 2010
    Tazpkg 3.2 supports a new .tazpkg format using lzma compression (30% smaller).
    Every package (except tazpkg-3.2.tazpkg) has been moved to the new format.

If you already use tazpkg 3.2 you can update your system with `tazpkg upgrade'.

Overwise, please reinstall tazpkg (tazpkg get-install tazpkg --forced) before running `tazpkg upgrade'.
  • RobertugoRobertugo February 2010
    Hello, tazpkg 3.2 have a better compression and improved the conversion routines to other formats, congratulations for this! With their gui (tazpkgbox), I have problems: alone it lists me the installed packages, if I choose to list the installables the list it is in white. Another problem that had from the version 3.1, is that in the statistical summary it didn't show the number of packages for upgrade; I found that the error was in the line 528 of tazpkgbox, in the part that says:

upgradable-packages
    should say:
    upgradeable-packages

And with this the statistical summary works fully; I have compared the versions 3.1 and 3.2 of the gui and they are almost identical (alone they change the year and the version in the lines 7 and 9); for what the error should maybe be in another side (perhaps doesn't find the icon or if it is of an I miss in same tazpkg).
    From already my gratefulness for your quality and warmth; I hope not to importune them with my comment...
  • taylorchutaylorchu February 2010
    nice !
  • LuXLuX February 2010
    Hello Pascal,

Abstract: Please make new iso's available.

En fançais, c'est plus simple. ;)
    Ce serait bien de mettre à jour l'iso de la cooking, du coup, (et si possible des saveurs basées dessus, comme Slitaz-Xorg) par une nouvelle version, compte tenu de cette modif radicale. Sinon on doit mettre à jour près de 200 paquets chaque fois qu'on ré-installe Slitaz-cooking pour la tester, ce qui est un peu lourd...

Heartly yours (ça doit être équivalent à "cordialement", non ?),
    LuX.

• RuppRupp February 2010
    So that is why we had to reinstall all packages? Due to the new compression?
  • seawolfseawolf February 2010
    @Rupp Yes. Each package has been re-packed with the new compression method. The Package Manager itself has to be updated first to make sure that it runs the correct program when de-compressing them.
  • LuXLuX February 2010
    Hello Rupp,

--- EDIT : I started this post before Seawolf's one's was posted, sorry for redundance ---

I don't know if one has to re-install all the packages for a normal use of Cooking. You probably don't have to until you install something new. On the other hand I think that one has to do it in order to have tazpkg working properly.

What I know is that usually, after an install of Cooking from an iso, you have to upgrade the system because SOME packages have been changed in order to fix some bugs. But now, in order to do so, you have to install the new version of tazpkg first, because the old one doesn't deal with the new file format of the packages. And then, when you type "tazpkg upgrade", it is the list of ALL packages (except tazpkg itself) that tazpkg considers as upgradable. And upgrade all the packages is quite long...

Sheers,
    LuX.
  • RuppRupp February 2010
    Oh I was just noticing problems the past few days. A friend had a problem with installing things after I told him to try slitaz. He couldn't then in IRC they mentioned the tazpg upgrade and then it worked for him. I didn't know there was a problem because I installed arch's pacman and have been using it somewhat in slitaz :)
  • slicelslicel February 2010
    Undocumented or obscure changes with tazusb and tazpkg caused another problem like Rupp's where I promoted slitaz to a friend and he also had a bad experience but, not knowing about IRC, gave up after not being able to install after a few hours.
  • TdeMTdeM February 2010
    I have slitaz stable, but I like to occasionally install cooking packages. Would upgrading tazpkg affect an otherwise normal stable install. (e.g. installing stable packages etc.)
  • plmdayplmday February 2010
    @slicel, that's why I suggested build the "itself first" strategy into tazpkg when doing system upgrading, as pacman does.
  • LuXLuX February 2010
    Hello DAY,

I vote for you! :-)

After having upgraded all my system once (it takes more than 30mn on my laptop, I think) resulting in a completely destroyed system because I did it just before reading Bellart's annoucement, I support your proposition 100%.

Regards,
    LuX.
  • slicelslicel February 2010
    Day, it happened before your suggestion but your suggestion is good.
  • newusernewuser February 2010
    I upgraded the tazpkg in my system and it just ate up the system. I get a blank display window, 0 programs installed and the only way to get out is by resetting the system
  • maromaro February 2010
    Whilst I was looking for something else, I noticed that a few tazpkg files have not yet been "upgraded to lzma". Those are:
    wine-1.1.29.tazpkg
    wine-dev-1.1.29.tazpkg
    wireless_tools-dev-29.tazpkg
    wireshark-1.2.4.tazpkg
    wordwarvi-0.25.tazpkg
  • plmdayplmday February 2010
    OK, everyone, I've submitted the 'itself first' feature request I mentioned above and developer Pascal Bellard (http://hg.slitaz.org/tazpkg/rev/144e284e434a) has added it to tazpkg immediately (too soon than I expected :) The feature request submission is delayed as the server for the slitaz lab was taken offline for a while. Anyway, I am sure it should be soon wrapped into an update. All these problems will be gone in the future. Good job and thanks, Pascal.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social