This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Automating language, keymap options
  • DevDev January 2010
    Hi! I run Slitaz (Kernel 2.6.30.6 Aircrack-ng distribution) from and on a USB-drive.

My problem is this. I'm sick and tired of entering the language, keymap and screen options over and over again. Is there some way I can change my settings so that I go directly to the login screen, with the language=en, keymap=us, screen=1024x768x24 options being loaded automatically?

I've been searching for days on the Net, but haven't been able to find a solution. Have tried changing the isolinux.cfg file and the menu.lst file -- but haven't been able to automate this. It's beginning to affect my sanity! One of those irritating things which should be so easy to do, but I just can't figure it out. :-)

Seriously though, think it would be very helpful to have a clearly laid-out guide to automating this -- there must be many people who're sick of this. Slitaz loads up so fast -- it's a shame to have to slow down the bootup process, entering the same options every time.

Thanks!
  • GokhlayehGokhlayeh January 2010
    Hi Dev,

you can try to add this boot command :
    lang=en kmap=us vga=792
    (or screen=1024x768x24 in place of vga=792)

If you boot with isolinux the right place is the "append" line, after root=/dev/* in isolinux.cfg
    If you boot with grub it should be the kernel line, after root=/dev/* too

Tell me if it works :)
  • damhyojungdamhyojung January 2010
    adjust your menu.lst
    example:

title SliTaz LiveCD
    root (hd0,4)
    kernel /BOOT/VMLINUZ_.6_S root=/dev/sda5 lang=en kmap=us screen=1024x768x24
    initrd /BOOT/ROOTFS.GZ
    boot
  • damhyojungdamhyojung January 2010
    wow,Gokhlayeh,you are so quick,haha
  • DevDev January 2010
    Thanks for the quick replies.

And it worked!

My Slitaz has stopped asking pointless, nagging, irritating questions! :-)

Here's what I did. I changed the syslinux.cfg file in the root directory of the USB drive.

This is my complete append line, which did the trick:-

append initrd=/ubninit rw root=/dev/null lang=en kmap=us screen=1024x768x24 autologin

Thank you, Gokhlayeh and damyojung! You have saved my sanity and my hair!

Of course, now I want more! :-)

Any idea how I can get Slitaz to modprobe mac80211 and ath9k (for my WLAN card) automatically at startup?

Also, how do I get it to automatically mount my USB drive (sdc1)?

Please feel free to tell me to stop asking so many questions! :-)
  • NoxyNoxy January 2010
    hi

add in your syslinux.cfg

append initrd=/ubninit rw root=/dev/null lang=en kmap=us screen=1024x768x24 autologin home=sdc1

and mac80211 is automaticaly up and sorry for my english i m french

regards
  • DevDev January 2010
    Thanks for the reply! Didn't work though!

Here's what I'm trying to do. I load Slitaz from my USB thumb-drive. After logging in, I have to "mount /dev/sdc1 /media/flash" every time to access the drive. I was hoping there was some way I could automate this in the startup.

About the mac80211. My laptop's -- an Acer Aspire -- WLAN card (Atheros) is not recognised by Slitaz until I enter the following after booting up:-

depmod
    modprobe mac80211
    modprobe ath9k

I've created a script for the above -- but have to load my USB-drive before I can run it! Was hoping that there's some way to automate both the mounting of the drive and loading of the mac80211 and ath9k modules. There has to be! :-)
  • GokhlayehGokhlayeh January 2010
    You can find more information about boot options here :
    http://www.slitaz.org/en/doc/handbook/livecd.html

You can try :

append initrd=/ubninit rw root=/dev/null lang=en kmap=us screen=1024x768x24 home=/dev/sdc1 modprobe=mac80211,ath9k autologin

• slicelslicel January 2010
    Modprobe modules at boot by adding modules to /etc/rcS.conf.

I think there are tazpkgs that will automount drives.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social