This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Slitaz/xorg snow
  • PayoonPayoon January 2010
    Hi folks,
    I have installed Sltay-xorg to use a better screen resolution. However after I updateted, I found that my keyboard was changed. The boot log says to fr-ch latin. I tried to change it back to de-latin with keyboard mapping, but it didnt work. The keyboard stays in the wrong locale.
    To help find the error I have to say, that in the past I have tried to install nvidia driver with cooking 3.0 and the same happened. After installing nvidia driver ,which didnt work, mz kezboard was changed and i couldnt change it back.
    Please help me to change back to de-keyboard.
    Klaus
  • LuXLuX January 2010
    Hello Payoon,

* Payoon said:
    I have installed Sltay-xorg to use a better screen resolution. However after I updateted, I found that my keyboard was changed.

There is something which puzzle's me in what you said: your keyboard was changed relatively to which earlier state? I suppose that you meant that your keyboard was not recognised properly from the begining in Slitaz-xorg, not that it was recognised at first boot in Slitaz-xorg and that it changed later.

If so, in order to teach Xorg how to deal properly with your keyboard, you just have to edit (as root) it's configuration file /etc/X11/xorg.cong.

* Before changing anything, backup the file. You can do this with one command (as root):
    $ cd /etc/X11 ; cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.bak

* Then open the file xorg.conf with your favorite text editor, say leafpad (please use a text editor, not a huge program like openoffice which may change some things in the text file that you don't ask him to change). Look for the section concerning the keyboard. On my Slitaz-xorg it looks like this:
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbLayout" "fr"
    EndSection

* You can see there what you have to change: the value of the option "XkbLayout" should be set to "de", I suppose, instead of "fr" in my case. So you just have to replace "fr" by "de", save xorg.conf and restart Xorg.

* If you want more information on xorg.conf, have a look at the sub-section "xorg.conf - configuration file" of this page of the handbook: http://www.slitaz.org/en/doc/handbook/x-window.html

Note: I'm assuming here that you are using Slitaz-xorg as a permantent system (normal install in a partition of your HD or something equivalent) not as a live system. Otherwise the solution is the same but in addition you have to save in some way what you change to your live system.

Hope this helps,
    LuX.

PS: I don't know how you installed Slitaz-Xorg. Personnaly I did a classical install in a partition, and at first boot I passed to it via the Grub's menu alle the option I wanted it to know, and among them the option "lang=fr_FR.UTF-8" (I wanted an UTF-8 system, but of course you can replace it by your favourite german latin-1 locale if you wish). This was enough for Xorg to be configured properly for my needs, and I think that it should have been the same for you.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social