This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

No sound in Slitaz Cooking 20091104
  • pre_historic94pre_historic94 November 2009
    Hi,

Anyone there know how to fix this problem?
  • jozeejozee November 2009
    Hi Pre,

I saw your msg on the mailing list. Some modules in linux pkg seems to be corrupted (http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/120/serious-module-issues-with-intel-drm) and require recompiling. Don't know why. We are looking into this.

I have rebuilt linux pkg on my computer. I tried modprobe snd-via82xx. It works. Maybe you try downloading the linux-sound pkg from http://people.slitaz.org/~jozee/packages/linux-sound-2.6.30.6.tazpkg (till we officially rebuilt it again) and do

#tazpkg install /home/tux/linux-sound-2.6.30.6.tazpkg --forced

OR you can recompile yourself (if in hurry): "tazwok cook linux"

Hope this helps.

-Rohit
    Thanks Rohit I'll try.
    Its working. Thanks. :)
  • merlinmerlin December 2009
    I downloaded the new linux-sound package from the above link, and the sound module can be installed using modprobe or insmod, I forget. The sound module seems to be successfully loaded, but there is still no sound. What else might I have to do to get the sound working? Thanks for your help.
  • merlinmerlin December 2009
    Sound works after downloading and installing the new linux-sound package from the above link and then running the script soundconf. The volume control applet must be added manually. Looking forward to the next cooking and stable versions of slitaz.
  • sv7sv7 December 2009
    Sound now also works for me after installing the new linux-sound package from the above link, thanks.
  • pre_historic94pre_historic94 December 2009
    sound does not working after the newest upgrading and then tried to use jozee's but also do not working. Now my slitaz had no sound.
  • jozeejozee December 2009
    @pre_historic94: Can you try downloading linux-sound pkg again from my link above? I have recooked it again after doing the upgrade. Hope it works for you again?
    I am using your newest linux-sound but it does not working. I tried to soundconf but it says the same error as before
    the snd_via82xx are succesfully loaded but opening the alsamixer still says mixer not attach
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# udevadm trigger
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# ls -l /dev/snd
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 16 21:12 by-path
    crw-rw-r-- 1 root audio 116, 33 Dec 16 07:27 timer
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# ls -l /dev/snd/*/*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Dec 16 21:12 /dev/snd/by-path/pci-0000:00:11.5 -> ../../controlC0
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# modprobe snd_via82xx
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# soundconf
    amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory
    alsactl: save_state:1502: No soundcards found...
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# modprobe snd-via82xx
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# modprobe snd-ac97-codec
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# modprobe snd sis7019
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# udevadm trigger
    root@slitaz:/home/tux# ls /dev/snd
    by-path timer
  • jozeejozee December 2009
    This seems to be really strange. Since your card was working before your recent upgrade, may I suggest that you rollback your linux-kernel.

You can download it: http://people.slitaz.org/~jozee/packages/linux-2.6.30.6.tazpkg
    And then, you can try my old linux-sound package that was working for you before: http://people.slitaz.org/~jozee/packages/linux-archive/linux-sound-2.6.30.6.tazpkg

Hopefully, sound will be restored.
    Yes the card are working before the latest upgrade by using your sound package
    I tried your suggestion but the results are the same.
  • skralljtskralljt January 2010
    installing josee's sound package and running soundconf worked for me. Unfortunately it worked last time this happened, right until the kernel upgrade. Guess manually installing josee's package will have to be part of the kernel update process...
  • pfichtnerpfichtner January 2010
    Hi!

I've got the same problems with an snd-intel8x0, see http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php/discussion/368/sound-not-working-module-loaded-but-device-node-is-missing/#Item_1

None of the two sound packages offered here did work for me.

I hope this will be fixed as soon as possible
  • iegubkiniegubkin January 2010
    I am experiencing the same problem as pre_historic94 and pfichtner with my on-board ens-1371

The device is listed correctly (lspci) and the correct modules seem to be loaded (lsmod)
    Here's a temporary work-around for a fresh install of the Slitaz Cooking 20091104 iso. The key here is that jozee's linux-sound package must be applied before updating slitaz:

1. install slitaz normally

2. install jozee's linux-sound package as described above:

wget http://people.slitaz.org/~jozee/packages/linux-sound-2.6.30.6.tazpkg

as root:

tazpkg install /home/tux/linux-sound-2.6.30.6.tazpkg --forced

I rebooted here and sound was working. If you still have a problem run (as root):

soundconf

3. block updates for linux-sound and linux (as root):

tazpkg block linux-sound
    tazpkg block linux

4. update slitaz as desired (as root):
    tazpkg recharge
    tazpkg upgrade
  • cavalier911cavalier911 January 2010
    @jozee:

slitaz-cooking.iso with bad linux-sound modules is

on the mirrors available for download

bc4c2f0dfb53280c8429405034b7f2fb slitaz-cooking.iso

As I described in the linked post, I installed the mentioned packages (2010-01-04) but nothing changed. linux-sound-2.6.30.6.tazpkg is dated 2009-12-14 so this seems to be the file I did install.
    To get sure I did install the mentioned package again: As estimated (after reboot):

pfichtner,

I know you've been trying everything to fix this but try one more thing:

1. Boot the Slitaz Cooking 20091104 iso on the machine your having trouble with. At this point you will have no sound.

2. Download jozee's linux-sound package.

3. Install jozee's linux-sound package

4. soundconf

5. Enjoy the sound (hopefully)
    Wow, iegubki, yes, it works! I can't believe it!

So it seems to me that not only the sound package differs from my installation (it's an uptodate cooking) but also the kernel!? What's the difference between my installation and the system on the cooking iso?

Thanks for your help!
    Curious: After stripping it down (remove all unneeded packages) it stopped working (I am getting the known errors again). Perhaps there's a dependency to one of the packages that I did uninstall?
    [This is in response to pfichtner's Jan. 16 post]

This is good news,

The difference is your installation has an updated linux-2.6.30.6.tazpkg. When you installed the new linux package, jozee's fix no longer works. You need to get the version of linux-2.6.30.6.tazpkg that is the same as the one on the Slitaz Cooking 20091104 iso. Unfortunately, other than a system re-install, I don't know how this could be done.
    Ooops , double post

[This forum software is not my favorite. I'd take phpBB anyday]
    Ok, so I did the following: I tared the kernel and the kernel's module from the booted SliTaz Cooking 20091104 iso and extracted them over my existing stripped (uptodate) SliTaz:
    No sound!

As I did wrote: Sound is even not to work on my stripped SliTaz Cooking 20091104 (I don't have unresolved references but stripped it as much as possible because it's for an embedded system with a 32 MB SSD). I think that one of the packages I did remove is compelling needed to keep ALSA working! But which of them is it!? Any hints?
  • panksopankso January 2010
    Hi,

All missing devices node and sound bugs seems to come from udev missing file. Alsa rules have been removed upstream but with some custom rules it work for me. Will fix udev package. If one want to try, you must create '/etc/udev/rules.d/40-alsa.rules' with:

SUBSYSTEM=="sound",		GROUP="audio"
    KERNEL=="controlC[0-9]*", NAME="snd/%k"
    KERNEL=="hwC[D0-9]*", NAME="snd/%k"
    KERNEL=="pcmC[D0-9cp]*", NAME="snd/%k"
    KERNEL=="midiC[D0-9]*", NAME="snd/%k"
    KERNEL=="timer", NAME="snd/%k"
    KERNEL=="seq", NAME="snd/%k"
    KERNEL=="mixer0", SYMLINK+="mixer"

Then execute: 'udevadm trigger'

- Christophe
    pankso,
    sometimes solutions can be that easy! I nearly can't believe it: This really fixed my problem. Wondering about myself not having seen this myself.
    Thanks so much!
    Peter
  • vinylvinyl March 2010
    So, my sound works... but it the levels are very low. In fact, after reconfiguring linux-sound and running soundconf, I think it's even lower! With the system sound turned up all the way, and the Flash movie I'm trying to hear turned up all the way, I still have to turn the speakers up about 3/4 to hear anything - of course, then, there's a lot of background noise, as well. Any suggestions/solutions?

(P.S. Yes, phpBB is lightyears better than this.)
  • slicelslicel March 2010
    Vinyl,

I asked that question a year ago but did not receive an answer.
  • mojomojo March 2010
    hey vinyl,
    welcome back you rascal :))

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social