This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

couple of newbie questions (eee701 and very old system)
  • sanekssaneks December 2009
    hello people,

new here.. I lately tried slitaz on my eee701 with 512mb ram and 4gb flashdrive, and I am very impressed with the speed. I am using crunchbang now, which I like. But slitaz seems nice, fast, with openbox and all. cool.

so with Slitaz 2.0 I have some problems writh the right screen resolution (not in the options) and of enabling touchpad-scrolling and function keys on my eee (volume mainly). also I could not install apps from the GUI, probably the repository is wrong.. I checked the forum but could not find so much information. Grateful for any link.

these days I want to try Slitaz to resecurrect an very old 1998 toshiba laptop with windows98, 2gb HD and 32mb ram. it is supposed to go to a social centre for kids. I want to use the default Minefield-browser, Abiword, picture-viewer and VLC.. do you think it is a good idea or merely a waste of time?

Cool distro!
    Saneks
  • cavalier911cavalier911 December 2009
    Try the custom flavor for the eeepc

Try the loram flavor on the old laptop with 32MB

Read here:

http://www.slitaz.org/en/doc/handbook/gen-livecd.html

http://hg.slitaz.org/wok/raw-file/tip/slitaz-eeepc/stuff/eeepc.html

subox tazlitobox

flavors tab,list flavors button,Flavor: eeepc,get flavor button configuration tab,text editor button to right of Packages list: View which packages are included in the eeepc flavor,add or delete packages to customize
  • sanexsanex December 2009
    I found a link for a iso called slitaz-eee.iso, but the link is broken. is it mirrored somewhere? - I read here that a lot of forum and wiki information was deleted.. :(

I want to create an eee-optimized live-usb stick.

if I understad you right: do I really have to install all flavor-packages from the txt-file by hand or is it possible to have this done automatically? or is there a readmade iso somewhere?

For now I installed slitaz-eee package, then ran the tazeee configure command and it told me it found the 701 correctly. I guess I have to reboot for having effects. then installed abiword, then I ran the tazlito live-cd tool, but when I want to create my flavor in the gendistro in system-tab, I get "can't find rootfs".. i am pretty confused about how to proceed.

thanks for your help.
  • kultexkultex December 2009
  • sanekssaneks December 2009
    thanks, I tried the link. I prepared the iso with unetbootin357 in windows, after booting I got an "unable to execute login command", then loginscreen (user: tux), for the password I tried leaving blank first, then "root", then "Root", then slitaz/Slitaz.. it always shortly jumps back to CLI, than back to login-splashscreen..

Edit: login-problem solved: I replaced "tux" with "root" and used "root" as password.

but same problems here as in my own efforts (see below): internet (wlan) does not work anymore in this version, it will find the networks, but will not connect! in default slitaz 2.0 internet is dead easy to setup (select network, enter password, and it works.).. what's the difference in the eee version? I use an white eee701 4GB with a swiss keyboard. also no FN keys except screen brightness work..

my own efforts earlier today included getting the eeepc flavor in tazlito-CD, then hitting "gendistro", indeed found the slitaz-hacked.iso in the virtual cdrom folder, used it with tazlito-USB, then rebooted.. same problems as in the eee version.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 January 2010
    About the very old computer... I'm using the latest Slitaz on a 166 Mhz, 48 Mb RAM computer (TI Extensa). It takes about 40 Mb ram, but I managed to lightweight it : I don't use LXpanel nor pcmanfm (as wallpaper and desktop manager). It makes it usable, as fast as under win 98.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 January 2010
    About the very old computer... I'm using the latest Slitaz on a 166 Mhz, 48 Mb RAM computer (TI Extensa). It takes about 40 Mb ram, but I managed to lightweight it : I don't use LXpanel nor pcmanfm (as wallpaper and desktop manager). It makes it usable, as fast as under win 98.
  • sanekssaneks January 2010
    thanks, but I guess I will just leave the old machine alone. it was for a friend,but he does not need it anymore. but I am still looking for the solution for how to enable the touchpad scrolling in slitaz and how to solve the internet problem on the eee-slitaz version OR the screen solution problem on the slitaz2.0 regular version. any help appreciated.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social