This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Wireless Connection
  • ValeourValeour March 2011
    Okay, I'm new to linux altogether, I've managed to pick up a few things, but not alot. I decided to use Slitaz because it seemed perfect for an old laptop I have.

I've managed to figure most things out myself or through this forum and other places, but I cannot for the life of me get my wireless dongle to connect to any AP.

It's a NetGear dongle, I have no idea what model/make, etc. I got ndiswrapper and install the drivers, but it still doesn't turn on unless I force it with

sudo depmod -a
    sudo ndiswrapper -m
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    Then my actual problem arises. I can see all the routers and things, but whenever I try to connect, it just does nothing, except scan for APs again.
    I also changed the internet method from eth0 or lo to wlan0, I get a signal strength bar, but if I connect to my router, the signel strength is 0, and just says disconnected. However, if I access an open access point from nearby, I'll get signal strength, but the status is still disconnect and I cannot connect at all.

This is becoming a slight pain, so any help will do. And yes, I've tried upgrading the drivers, kernals, etc.
  • mojomojo March 2011
    Ndiswrapper is broken on slitaz-3.0 ,the network adapter associates to the wireless router but never achieves network connectivity.
    Ndiswrapper is pre-installed and works on slitaz 2.0
    I'm having boot problems with cooking so haven't tested ndiswrapper on it. 

Post the complete output from:
     lsusb
    With that info I can check if there is a linux driver on slitaz-3.0 for the chipset in your usb adapter. 
    Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

And, apparently, lsusb isn't a recognized command, and I can't seem to find a package for it.

What do I need?
  • babaorumbabaorum March 2011
    It is in "usbutils" package.
    You can have a more detailed output w/ "usb-devices" command provided with the same package. ;-]
    Unfortunately the only ethernet cable I have is in the back of my PC, so I'll either have to download the package tomorrow or sometime on the weekend, thanks anyway, I'll get back ASAP.
    Okay, managed to download and get lsusb;

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1385:5f01 Netgear, Inc WPN111 (no firmware)

(judging by no firmware, I guess that's bad?)
  • mojomojo March 2011
    Searching google for "1385:5f01 linux " returns no results for a  linux driver.
    Ndiswrapper is the only way to use this adapter with linux.
    I suggest:  http://mirror.slitaz.org/iso/2.0/slitaz-2.0.iso
                      http://mirror.slitaz.org/iso/2.0/slitaz-2.0.md5
    Menu/System Tools/Wireless Networks Connections/Drivers tab/Install Windows driver button
    Browse to windows driver .inf file Load the driver

Some WPN11 info @ ndiswrapper wiki:
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ndiswrapper/index.php?title=Netgear_WPN111

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Tagged

SliTaz Social