This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

There is no Module ?
  • dnelubdnelub February 2011
    I have got a Acer Aspire One D250 and i wanted to install slitaz-cooking on my usb memory. I did but there are some problems regarding wireless driver. Right after installation I have upgraded all packages.
    The problem is that I want to load the module, Broadcom-sta which, I think, is the driver of the wireless card but when I open wireless manager --> driver section there isn`t any module to load. And output of lsmod is also very strange there is only one line, Atl1c which is for ethernet driver. Nothing more...

Now, I dont know what to do?

• mojomojo February 2011
    # tazpkg get-install linux-wireless.tazpkg
    Now you should see entry in wireless manager/drivers tab Module:
    Depending on your wireless chip you may need to install firmware.
    If your ethernet works you can install Firmware:
    Post the output from lspci -nn if your not sure which module you need.
    Thanks for the quick responce but I have already installed this package. There is a list of firmware but unfortunately there is no any module.
    In my opinion, this is problem of kernel. I am using kernel 2.6.34 but all drivers and modules in the system for 2.6.37 and they are not in the folder of 2.6.34-slitaz.

By the way, I know which modules I need, The problem is that I am not able to modprobe any module which I need. It gives me the same error each time: "module xxx not found in modules.dep". I have similar problem for graphic card too.

Hopefully , there is a solution :(
  • mojomojo February 2011
    This will fix the problem.
    # tazpkg recharge
    # tazpkg upgrade
    As I told before "right after installation I have upgraded all packages." by package manager. Just in case,  I used commands in the console but unfortunately the problem is persisting on.
  • mojomojo February 2011
    This is what you should see on updated cooking:
    uname -a
    Kernel: Linux slitaz 2.6.37-slitaz #2 SMP Tue Jan 25 02:32:32 CET 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
    modprobe -l
    Modules: /lib/modules/2.6.37-slitaz/kernel/drivers/
    Kernel version must match the modules version.
    If it doesn't the upgrade failed.
    Use the --forced command if it says it's already installed.
    #tazpkg get-install linux --forced
    When you upgrade the kernel in slitaz it autoremove's the old kernel and modules.
    It doesn't keep them as a backup.
    At the moment I am at work but I will give a try when I am back home.
    unfortunately It didnt work. it says that it has been installed but linux-kernel is still same :(
  • Any update on this? 
  • We are still waiting for @dnelub if he is using the right kernel version!
  • slicelslicel March 2011
    "When you upgrade the kernel in slitaz it autoremove's the old kernel and modules.
    It doesn't keep them as a backup."

I thought slitaz kept the old kernel.  I remember slitaz v2 cooking keeping the old grub entry and adding a new one and booting either one.
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za March 2011
    Grub has NOTHING to do with the kernel... It doesn't save each and every kernel update or it's associated packages. It also doesn't save older packages when a package gets upgraded.
  • dnelubdnelub March 2011
    Hi
    I have been in holiday I have just come back. Unfortunately I am still using old kernel. I am ready to try something new
  • Having the same problem here. I followed mojo's directions but uname -a still shows the 2.6.34 kernel.
  • mojomojo March 2011
    I looked at the receipt for linux-2.6.37.tazpkg
    The old vmlinuz-2.6.34 kernel remains on the system and is not removed.
    The post install commands are supposed to add an additional menu entry pointing to the new kernel if an existing /boot/grub/menu.lst is detected.
    So either that failed or grub is not installed.
    The bootloader is pointing at the old existing kernel which continues to boot.
    Bootloader menu needs an entry pointing to the updated kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.37-slitaz
    Post back with info on your bootloader if you need help.

• dnelubdnelub March 2011
    Is there any progress in this issue or does it still exist?
  • slicelslicel March 2011
    Mojo confirmed my previous post that slitaz keeps the old kernel and is supposed to add a new grub entry.

If you have both vmlinuz kernels in the /boot folder, you as root could edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to add a new entry to boot the new kernel.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social