This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

What are ram/hd system requirements for all slitaz compiling?
  • slicelslicel March 2011
    What are ram/hd system requirements for all slitaz compiling?

Thank you
  • seawolfseawolf March 2011
    I should imagine the disk usage figure includes the size of the program's source code (or Wok if you want to use it), plus the size of all the built code it produces, plus a little slack.
    It'll depend heavily on which softwares one wishes to compile: just the receipts is less than 50MB for the stable Wok but for the extracted source code that is downloaded much more; memory usage will be whatever it can get, probably about 256MB free.
    Obviously the more memory and processor power, the much, much quicker it'll be.
    Does that mean I can recompile the kernel on a 200mb partition?

I do not want depends trying to overflow available space.

Can recompiling use 192mb swap and 64mb ram?

Important for-

old computers
    new computers with small partitions
    usb keys

Thank you
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za March 2011
    Depends on if you have gcc and compile tools on that partition or not. You will always need more space for compile tools, headers and source code than for the fully compiled files. The Kernel is actually pretty small pre and post compiled.

I'm choosing to ignore your snide remark (which just backfired) since you do get usb keys and older computers more than 200MB of HDD space. Hell you'd be lucky to get an old Pentium one without 2GB or higher.

Compiling is older than any current OS and it will use whatever resources is available to it. The only difference is in which optimisations it is using and how long it will take. An unoptimised compile on a low resource system will take considerably longer than an optimised compile on a top-end machine. Also note that compiling normally doesn't use swap space so much.
    Oh yes, incl. the toolchain packages and all the appropriate *-dev packages.
    The kernel tarballs are 60-80MB (look at kernel.org) and my /usr/src/linux folder is ~400MB, so even if the slitaz linux-source package is smaller than that (I've probably fiddled with it some time ago) it'd be way too big for the 200MB partition you mention.

Since you originally asked for "all slitaz compiling" I should imagine the Tank / BuildBot would be the most accurate place to get information from, and those involved with that are more active on the ML. I can't find a disk usage figure on tank.slitaz.org about just the BuildBot but the whole lot.
    OK, so I cannot use my 200mb partitions if one package alone is twice that size.

I am asking about the size with all the current compile tools together.

I could not find the tank but I agree that people who compile slitaz probably know the answer.

One of my early suggestions from slitaz v1 was for the package manager to identify installed size, which is now partially implemented.  It lists installed size of the initial package but not all the depends included so it is still dangerously easy to exceed remaining free space.
    I have a feeling that a half-gig might not be enough either but could someone please give the total mb of hd space?

Thank you
    What are the hd/ram requirements to clone the wok?
    At the moment, a clone of the:
    - Stable wok = ~42MB
    - Cooking wok = ~55MB
    - Undigest wok = ~6MB

RAM is whatever Mercurial needs.
    OK, so the safe hd requirement is probably at least 600mb so far.

400mb kernel source
    50mb receipts
    55mb clone a wok

I have a feeling there is more.
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za March 2011
    You'd probably need a couple of kernel patches too (like the ones SliTaz needs to use).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Tagged

SliTaz Social