This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Hopefully a quick question from a newbie
  • pedalinbobpedalinbob February 2011
    I am a newbie to Linux...and it is amazing!  Kudos to those of you who create this stuff!!!  Brilliant!

Anyway, I am testing Slitaz from the Live CD, and it is the only test distro that plays flash video properly (the others are choppy).  
    For reference, I have an old Dell Dimension 4400, 40gb drive, P4 1.7ghz, GeForce 5200 card (128mb or 256mb, I forget), and 1gb ram (max for the motherboard).  It is not capable of booting from USB.

I enjoy Lucid Puppy 5.2 (VERY user friendly, and pretty darn quick) and a few other distros, but there is something about Slitaz that I like.  Not sure what it is.  It is incredibly fast to boot, and despite my inexperience, I have been able to get things to work ok.

Now, I would like to customize my setup, and burn the ISO to a CD.  I think I found a website outlining how to do this, but I admit that it is a bit confusing.  I think I may be able to fumble my way through it...but, I prefer to limit fumbling.

Is there a "How to Set Up Slitaz to Taste and Remaster the ISO to a CD for Dummies" tutorial?  Step by step?
    Forgive my ignorance on these matters.  I read some of the posts with command lines and other technical things which, though I hope to learn someday, I currently find daunting.

Secondarily: does Slitaz boot/run even faster when installed to the hard drive?  

Many thanks,
    Bob
  • GokhlayehGokhlayeh February 2011
    Here's what I found in tazlito doc (/usr/share/doc/tazlito/tazlito.en.html)

writeiso

This command will write the current filesystem to a cpio archive (rootfs.gz) and then generate a bootable ISO image. Writeiso can be used in a HD install or in live mode and will also archive your current /home directory. This command lets you easily remaster and build your own LiveCD image, just boot, modify any files, and then:

# tazlito writeiso [gzip|lzma|none]
    # tazlito writeiso gzip
    # tazlito writeiso gzip image-name

Hope this help.
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za February 2011
    To answer you second question. Generally it will be faster installed because you won't have SliTaz using up 120MB of your RAM like before, instead it will use around 30MB instead. The difference is more noticable if you have a low-ram system to begin with. I remember installing a few big programs with SliTaz which made it slow down to a crawl - I pretty much filled up my ram with junk. I never had this issue while it was installed though.
  • highfreakhighfreak February 2011

I'm basically an idiot and new to Linux in general. However, I agree there are things

about Slitaz that are hard to define. Maybe the overall experience of the desktop.

It's small, obviously and what interests me, can be modified for remastering with

added boot repair software, e.g. Wine, tuluka.exe (an anti-rootkit kernel inspector), GMER,

RootkitRevealer, Avira, but not all on one iso (CD) for the necessity of keeping the whole

RAM image small. Now if I knew how to do all this. Damn! Another steep learning curve.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social