This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

Huawei 3G E1552 USB modem in Slitaz 3.0?
  • insomniacno1insomniacno1 January 2011
    Hi there, I need some help - I think I have tried most of the solutions available for slitaz without any luck. My modem is not recognized in any of my 4 USB ports, that is - it is by lsusb, and by dsmesg but as storage device, same goes for lsmod. But when it comes to 3G modem setup it doesn't find the modem.

My modem works fine in Peppermint One, after installing Usb_modeswitch and doing this:

Instructions:

1. Insert your Huawei USB.
    2. From a terminal window, type:

lsusb

hit Enter and you should see an output like this:

Bus 001 Device 011: ID 12d1:1001 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E620 USB Modem
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1bcf:0007 Sunplus Innovation Technology Inc.
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

3. The output will show the vendor ID and the product ID (12d1 and 1001 in the above example - it might be different on your machine) .

4. Create a udev rule by typing

gksu gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/15-huawei-e620.rules

I named my file 15-huawei-e620.rules because that's what lsusb showed from no. 2 then copy+paste the code below:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb",SYSFS{idProduct}=="1001",SYSFS{idVendor}=="12d1",RUN+="/lib/udev/modem-modeswitch --vendor 0x12d1 --product 0x1001 --type option-zerocd"

Just be sure to replace (if necessary) the correct values you got for your product and vendor IDs.
    Save the file and type exit to close the terminal window.

5. Safely remove the USB drive then reinsert.

6. In my machine, the Gnome network manager didn't automatically detect my USB, so I had to create a new Mobile Broadband connection manually. Just right-click on the network manager icon, choose Edit Connections, go to Mobile Broadband, and click Add.

This works like a charm on Peppermint but doesn't work in Slitaz, which I like better because my laptop don't have so much Ram, or fast CPU.

These are the things I tried:

http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php?p=/discussion/2206/usb-3g-modem-cant-find-it-in-devtty/

With the limitation of grep, for which I could not get installed. Neither could I get modprobe option to give me a reply.

Also I couldn't get the sakis3g script to run, hough I followed this guide to the dot:

http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php?p=/discussion/2273/the-sakis3g-attempt-working/p1

I even tried this:

http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:cricket-a600

But flipflop.sh wouldn't run. In xterm I got this error:

#sh flipflop.sh not found

Anyone have a complete guide without links to other sites so you have to guess how to do it? I'm not a newbie to computers but I am to Linux, I have tried many distro's to find one that would run on my laptop taking minimum system resources.

Puppy Linux is good, but limited in the way you can install other programs. Basically all ubuntu derivaties are too heavy. Peppermint One is ok but still too slow sometimes.
    DSL don't work well on this laptop.

Slitaz is the one I like best now. So I really like to get my USB modem working.

Hope someone can help:)

JBJ

• kultexkultex January 2011
    try this
    1. create a file called /etc/udev/rules.d/62-option-modem-modeswitch.rules,
      and paste this line:

ATTRS{idVendor}=="12d1", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1446", RUN+="modem-modeswitch -v 0x%s{idVendor} -p 0x%s{idProduct} -t option-zerocd"

2. restart udev

Thanx for the info:) I have made the file now, but how do I restart udev?

JBJ
  • kultexkultex January 2011
    I am not on slitaz - it should be - as root
    /etc/init.d/udev restart

or reboot
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za January 2011
    This might be of interest to you:
    http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/11000/#Comment_11000
    I use a 3G device myself :)
    Hi Trixar_za, I already looked through your post and followed it to the dot, but could not get it to work, as described in my first post. The modem is only detected as storage. Besides that, grep is not available through package manager on the slitaz 3.0. I had to find it separately in packages for Cooking:

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/slitaz/packages/cooking/
    ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/slitaz/packages/3.0/

You might want to add that to your post:)

To Kultex, its still not working. Modem is not recognized. Do you have a complete guide?
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za January 2011
    I say to use cooking's grep function here: http://forum.slitaz.org/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/10877/#Comment_10877 :P

Getting it to work with stable is slightly tricky because of the extra requirements (blame the older busybox). I was half wondering if I should make a package with the relevant files included to make it easier for people.

Sakis3g should be able to switch over the modem properly. It takes a minute from start to finish on my system to work though and the expr error is harmless - all it does is try and clear the screen.

The essential bit is to use my procps instead of the one provided by slitaz - mostly because the slitaz one doesn't include the ps command in the package.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social