This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

installing SliTaz on hardrive
  • jakejake December 2010
    so i want to instal SliTaz on my hardrive but dont know how. nomally i install the OS from a CD. SliTaz boots from a CD so how do i install it to my hardrive?
  • bofhbofh December 2010
  • jakejake December 2010
    alright I'm doing it now. the installer seems to be stuck at 50%, says "executing mkfs.ext3 on /dev/sda1" should it be doing this for this long?
  • jakejake December 2010
    now it boots but when i log in it says "unable to execute login command"
  • jakejake December 2010
    ok i got it, logged in as root it worked
  • jakejake December 2010
    ok my desktop isn't showing? no icons no picture just blue, windows show up and i can run everything but not desktop background or icons

• bofhbofh December 2010

ok i got it, logged in as root it worked

me2!
  • jakejake December 2010
    so how do i get my desktop to show? i keep looking at stuff but can't seem to get it to work

• bofhbofh December 2010
    go to menu --> preferences --> desktop wallpaper

4icons         --> preferences --> desktop icons
  • Trixar_zaTrixar_za December 2010
    *sigh*

No, the problem is that Jake is using Cooking. There is 3 major problems with/in cooking:
    1. Creation of the user account is BROKEN. It copies the files to the /home folder instead of your user folder within /home. Because of this Openbox's startup doesn't work, which means pcmanfm (the file manager that also manages the desktop) doesn't work like you'd think.
    2. Network settings don't always get updated properly and defaults to the default network name rather than the one you choose. This can break connections like ppp0 because hostnames can't be resolved to IPs.
    3. The cooking you see still uses the older linux kernel (2.6.34) instead of the newer one which is version 2.6.36. This breaks stuff that's dependant on the linux kernel.

There has been countless dicussions about this and solutions have be offered to help you out. So don't hesitate to search the forum for them.

Another possible solution is to stick with the Stable version for now. It doesn't have the above issues, and runs pretty stable considering.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social