This is the old SliTaz forum - Please use the main forum.slitaz.org

changing main user from tux
  • davesurreydavesurrey November 2009
    Installed cooking 20091104. New to Slitaz.
    Wanted to change default user from tux to david.
    Added new user david in System>Control Box>Users but noticed that it gave uid:gid as 1001:1001
    How should I change this to delete tux as a user and get david as 1000:1000?

I tried setting up david as above.
    Then copying across all files from /home/tux to /home/david , which I found during a Google search.
    Checked david was set as owner and group.
    Tried loggin-in but now I can only boot as root. Neither tux nor david work with the message
    "Failed to execute logging command."

Can someone advise what I should do.
    Thank you

• davesurreydavesurrey November 2009
    Thanks deadwait.
    I read the article you suggested and followed the instructions but still could only boot as root.
    So I re-installed slitaz cooking and then as root changed all occurences of "tux" to "david" in /etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/slim.conf and renamed /home/tux to /home/david.

In the absence of anyone else's suggestion this worked and I am now able to get rid of this penguin identity and use my own :-)

Then I tried to add a new user "fred" but as before I get "Failed to execute logging command."
    So it's still broken.

So I followed the suggestion to add the folder /home/david/.config/slitaz to /home/fred/.config/ and all came good.

Thanks for your help anyway.
    Hope this will help others.
    Dave
  • vinylvinyl December 2009
    As root, delete tux, and then make a new account, david, shouldn't that make it uid 1000? Then, you know, in the Control Box, set david to the default user. No? Maybe not.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

SliTaz Social